Solving for Theta & Io: An Exploration

In summary, the angle at which the ray is propagating is ambiguous and needs to be set to 60 degrees to solve the problem.
bbbbb
Homework Statement
A ray of light is plane polarized. A sheet of Polaroid is held at an angle of 60 to the ray. What fraction of the original intensity of the ray is transmitting through the Polaroid at an angle of 60.
Relevant Equations
I=IoCos^2theta
I am not sure if theta will be 60 degrees or 30 degrees in this case and Io is given.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that the problem is ambiguous. Rays are thought of as straight lines along the direction of propagation and polarizers are usually held perpendicular to that direction but rotated about the ray axis. I would assume the obvious and set θ = 60o in the relevant equation that you quoted.

If the angle is 60, how will I calculate I when Io is unknown.

bbbbb said:
If the angle is 60, how will I calculate I when Io is unknown.
You don't. The expected answer is a fraction of ##I_0##, e.g. ##I=\dfrac{1}{\pi}I_0~~## (not the correct answer). The problem is asking for the fraction, i.e. what multiplies ##I_0## in the answer.

so, it will be I/Io=Cos60
which is I/Io=0.5

bbbbb said:
so, it will be I/Io=Cos60
which is I/Io=0.5
No it won't be that. Look again at your relevant equation in post #1.

I am looking for the fraction of the original intensity.
I am back to square one of finding Io, which is needed to solve the question.

bbbbb said:
I am looking for the fraction of the original intensity.
I am back to square one of finding Io, which is needed to solve the question.
Maybe you are unclear about what "fraction of the original intensity" means. The fraction ##f## of the original intensity is defined as ##f=\dfrac{I}{I_0}##. Solve your "relevant equation" for that and substitute the value for the angle. What do you get?

We are in a way saying the same thing; I need to find Io first then substitute in the formula above after finding I, the formula you said can now work.

We are not saying the same the thing. I am saying that you are looking for an expression for ##\dfrac{I}{I_0}##. You are saying that you need a number for ##I_0## before you can find an expression for the ratio. These are not the same thing. You do not need any numbers to find what I am asking. Do it with symbols and you will see where I am going with this. You sort of did it in post #5, but not quite.

I have solved in respect to angle 60. I made I/Io the subject of formula
I=IoCos^2theta
I/Io=cos(2*60...I/Io= -0.5

bbbbb said:
I have solved in respect to angle 60. I made I/Io the subject of formula
I=IoCos^2theta
I/Io=cos(2*60...I/Io= -0.5
IoCos^2theta is not cos(2*60, What does the uparrow "^" signify?

is it that the transmitted electric field is reduced by a factor cos (60) and the intensity is reduced by the square of that amount

bbbbb said:
is it that the transmitted electric field is reduced by a factor cos (60) and the intensity is reduced by the square of that amount
Not quite. The trnasmitted electric field component is reduced to E = E0 cos(60o) not by a factor of cos(60o).

Yes, the intensity is reduced by a factor of cos2(60o). I think you got it now.

'^' means square which is I/Io= 0.25.

Yes! :partytime:

Is that the final answer.

I said, "Yes" with confetti, didn't I? Yes, it is the final answer.

Likes PhDeezNutz
oh okay, thank you.

1. What is the purpose of solving for theta and Io?

The purpose of solving for theta and Io is to understand the motion and behavior of objects in space. Theta represents the angle of an object's position relative to a reference point, while Io represents the moment of inertia, or the resistance to rotational motion, of an object. By solving for these values, scientists can better predict and analyze the movements of celestial bodies.

2. How do you solve for theta and Io?

To solve for theta and Io, you will need to use mathematical equations and principles, such as trigonometry and rotational dynamics. You will also need to have accurate measurements of an object's position and mass. By plugging these values into the appropriate equations, you can solve for theta and Io.

3. What are some real-world applications of solving for theta and Io?

Solving for theta and Io has many real-world applications, including predicting the orbits of satellites and spacecraft, understanding the rotational behavior of planets and moons, and designing spacecraft and other objects for optimal stability and maneuverability in space.

4. How does solving for theta and Io contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By solving for theta and Io, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the laws and principles that govern the movement of objects in space. This knowledge can help us better understand the formation and evolution of our solar system and the universe as a whole.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to solving for theta and Io?

Solving for theta and Io can be challenging because it requires accurate measurements and complex mathematical calculations. Additionally, the behavior of objects in space can be affected by various factors, such as gravitational forces and collisions, which can make it difficult to accurately predict their motion. However, advancements in technology and scientific understanding continue to improve our ability to solve for theta and Io.