Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical sensor on/off

1. Sep 14, 2013 #1
    Hi all I would like some ideas and pointers on how you think that I could drive my electromagnet to turn on/off with some form of optical sensor. I’m using a 12V 3.6A battery. I’m not too knowledgeable in the optical sensor arena. So if you have any ideas on how I could drive this inductive load give me your thoughts, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2013 #2
    What do you want the optical sensor to sense? A break in the beam would toggle power to the electromagnet?

4. Sep 14, 2013 #3
    yes, sorry for not making that clear.

5. Sep 14, 2013 #4
    You might want to consider a photointerrupter. And some basic digital logic to control a digital mosfet.

6. Sep 14, 2013 #5
    I'v looked into them, I did not know of any others that may be easer.

7. Sep 14, 2013 #6
    I have just one more question. Do you need the optical sensor as a safety device such that power to the magnet is cut off when the beam is cut or to mimic the behavior of a switch?

8. Sep 15, 2013 #7

meBigGuy

Gold Member

9. Sep 15, 2013 #8
    I need it to mimic the behavior of the switch. I like the idea of a relay but relays have limited life's and don't last for as much repetitions as I need.

10. Sep 15, 2013 #9

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Then find a solid state photoelectric switch. Granger has them, but they are expensive.

Google "phototriac coupler".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook