Optical-SETI anomaly

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

... And indeed, in the first week of last December (2008) Bhathal's team detected an unusual strong laser signal that could not have been identified nor did it re-occur since: "It may be a glitch in our equipment, or some astrophysical phenomena (e.g an optical pulsar) or some unknown source. We are still investigating it", told Bhathal to the German online-newsmagazine "Grenzwissenschaft-aktuell.de"...
http://grenzwissenschaft-aktuell.blogspot.com/2009/05/australian-seti-astronomers-detect.html

Answers and Replies

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25448647-30417,00.html [Broken]

But when Ragbir Bhathal, an astrophysicist at the University of Western Sydney, who teaches the only university-based course on SETI (search for extraterrestrial intelligence) in Australia, detected the suspicious signal on a clear night last December, he knew better than to crack open the special bottle of champagne he has tucked away for the history-making occasion.

Instead, he's spent the past few months meticulously investigating whether the unrecognised signature was caused by a glitch in his instrumentation, a rogue astrophysical phenomenon, or some unknown random noise.

Even if he picks up the signal again - he's been scouring the same co-ordinates of the night sky on an almost daily basis since - the scientific rule book dictates he'll need to get it peer-reviewed before he can take his announcement to the world. "And that is a lot of ifs," he concedes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting indeed, although it always seems that the signal lasts for a second and then disappears never to be heard again! Same thing happened with the 'Wow' signal. What does he mean by laser pulses anyway? I dont get how you could communicate using laser pulses to some rocket in outer space?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Interesting indeed, although it always seems that the signal lasts for a second and then disappears never to be heard again! Same thing happened with the 'Wow' signal. What does he mean by laser pulses anyway? I dont get how you could communicate using laser pulses to some rocket in outer space?
http://seti.harvard.edu/oseti/

I dont get how you could communicate using laser pulses to some rocket in outer space?
it's been experimented before, I think the military is exploring this technology because of the insane bandwidth you can cram on a pulse of light

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Yes, and we use pulsed LASER in every fiber optic line. It is the basis of modern communications technology.

What does he mean by laser pulses anyway? I dont get how you could communicate using laser pulses to some rocket in outer space?

You would modulate it, like any other signal.

ideasrule
Homework Helper
How often do optical anomalies that look like the detected pulse occur? Considering how prevalent laser equipment is, surely there's very good information on this?