1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical Spectra

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The following elements should have optical spectra similar to either a hydrogen atom or a helium atom. Indicate which of the following elements should have optical spectra similar to a helium atom. (Select all that apply.)

The choices are: Cadmium, Lithium, Technetium, Titanium, Platinum, Strontium, Calcium, and Francium.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that since helium has a full level of valence electrons, it would have similar optical spectra as other elements with their highest orbitals completely filled. So I went with Strontium and Calcium, but this is incorrect. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2
    I'd say lithium because it has only one more electron than helium, but I'm not too sure about spectra problems.

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I don't like the question. My guess would be to go for s2 atoms with all other orbitals filled.

Somehow I don't think this approach will survive when comparing real spectra.

--
    methods

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4
    Ya, that's what I thought too, so I chose Strontium and Calcium but I am wrong. Do you think I should include 1s atoms as well that have all other orbitals filled? I haven't yet tried the combination: Lithium, Calcium, Strontium, and Francium. This may be it, but I am hesitant because I only have one chance left on my assignment.

6. Oct 22, 2009 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

s1 sounds more hydrogenish :wink:

--

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook