Optical Spectra

• Thread starter w3390
  • Start date

Homework Statement

The following elements should have optical spectra similar to either a hydrogen atom or a helium atom. Indicate which of the following elements should have optical spectra similar to a helium atom. (Select all that apply.)

The choices are: Cadmium, Lithium, Technetium, Titanium, Platinum, Strontium, Calcium, and Francium.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that since helium has a full level of valence electrons, it would have similar optical spectra as other elements with their highest orbitals completely filled. So I went with Strontium and Calcium, but this is incorrect. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

Answers and Replies

I'd say lithium because it has only one more electron than helium, but I'm not too sure about spectra problems.

Borek
Mentor
I don't like the question. My guess would be to go for s2 atoms with all other orbitals filled.

Somehow I don't think this approach will survive when comparing real spectra.

--
methods

Ya, that's what I thought too, so I chose Strontium and Calcium but I am wrong. Do you think I should include 1s atoms as well that have all other orbitals filled? I haven't yet tried the combination: Lithium, Calcium, Strontium, and Francium. This may be it, but I am hesitant because I only have one chance left on my assignment.

Borek
Mentor
s1 sounds more hydrogenish :wink:

--