What Should You Consider When Choosing an Optical Spectrum Analyzer?

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for suggestions on suitable parameters for an Optical Spectrum Analyzer that covers a broad range of wavelengths. They are also interested in finding a spectrum analyzer with a high resolution and a diffraction-grating based analyzer. The conversation includes links to potential options and a suggestion to search on photonics.com for more choices.
Reshma
Hi..

My department is considering to purchase an Optical Spectrum Analyzer (OSA). I had run a search on GlobalSpec, but I am really getting confused over the hundreds of spectrum analyzers available. I am looking for a diffraction-grating based analyzer that covers a broad range of wavelengths. Does anyone here has experience in this field and make some suggestions on the suitable parameters I should be looking for in an OSA?

Thanks in advance,
Reshma

Engineering news on Phys.org
What range of wavelengths do you want? Other important features would be resolution and computer interface + software.

Here are 2 models:
http://www.newport.com/Spectroscopy-Instruments/1033/642094/product.aspx
http://www.jobinyvon.com/SiteResources/Data/Templates/1divisional.asp?DocID=1296&v1ID=&lang=

Also, it's very useful to have 1 or 2 calibration lamps to calibrate the wavelength scale:
http://www.newport.com/Oriel-Pencil-Style-Calibration-Lamps/377846/1033/catalog.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Redbelly98!

Thanks for replying. The links you gave me were spectrometers. What I am a looking for is a spectrum analyzer. Spectrum analyzers have a much higher resolution. I am looking for one in the short-wavelength limit. But so far I have found only those in the higher wavelength range.

Here is a search on photonics.com that might be of help. Like you say, there are lots of choices.
http://photonics.com/photonicsFind.aspx?searchString=spectrum%20analyzer&searchIndex=0"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an Optical Spectrum Analyzer?

An Optical Spectrum Analyzer (OSA) is a scientific instrument used to measure and analyze the optical spectrum of light. It can detect and measure the intensity of light at different wavelengths, providing a visual representation of the spectrum.

2. How does an Optical Spectrum Analyzer work?

An OSA uses a monochromator to split incoming light into different wavelengths, which are then detected by a photodetector. The photodetector converts the light into an electrical signal, which is then processed and displayed as a spectrum on a screen. The resolution and accuracy of the OSA depend on the quality of the monochromator and photodetector.

3. What are the applications of Optical Spectrum Analyzers?

OSAs are used in various fields such as telecommunications, laser development, material science, and environmental monitoring. They are also used in fiber optics testing, signal analysis, and quality control in manufacturing processes.

4. What is the difference between an Optical Spectrum Analyzer and a Spectrophotometer?

While both instruments measure light at different wavelengths, an OSA is specifically designed for analyzing the optical spectrum, while a spectrophotometer can measure a broader range of wavelengths, including infrared and ultraviolet light. Additionally, OSAs typically have higher resolution and sensitivity compared to spectrophotometers.

5. How do I choose the right Optical Spectrum Analyzer for my needs?

When choosing an OSA, consider the required wavelength range, resolution, accuracy, and sensitivity for your specific application. Other factors to consider include the instrument's speed, portability, and cost. It is also important to ensure compatibility with other equipment and software used in your experiments or projects.