Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical System Design: Zemax

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1

Can anybody recommend a tutorial on how to use Zemax to perform simple optical system designs? I've been to Zemax's website and looked at its help section, but it doesn't really help at all. I've also checked out "Introduction to Lens Design with Practical Zemax
    Examples" by Joseph M. Geary, but I'm still stuck. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you looked at their knowledge base support page? http://www.zemax.com/kb/
    I don't have any experience with this software but it looks like you need to be able to program with C.
  4. Dec 14, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need to be able to program but you do have to understand optical design.
    Zemax is reasonably user friendly for an optical design package but you do have to know what design to enter and how to interpret the answers.
    It used to come with a reasonable manual and there are a number of books - but I don't know any that really teach optical design for the beginner using Zemax.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?