Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical System Design: Zemax

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    Hi,

Can anybody recommend a tutorial on how to use Zemax to perform simple optical system designs? I've been to Zemax's website and looked at its help section, but it doesn't really help at all. I've also checked out "Introduction to lens Design with Practical Zemax
    Examples" by Joseph M. Geary, but I'm still stuck. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What are you trying to do? Design an optical system from scratch or analyze an existing design?

4. Dec 15, 2008 #3
    Designing an optical system from scratch. I've seen the tutorials on Zemax's website.

5. Dec 15, 2008 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I've done that a few times- it's not easy. I used the Zemax tutorials and had a go at it. In the end I decided system design is not for me.

There's a guy who used to be very active on sci.optics: Jim Klein. He is very anti Zemax, but is very knowledgable about optical system design and even wrote his own ray trace code (and used to distribute it for free) which he is willing to help you learn. Try finding him and start up a conversation.

6. Dec 15, 2008 #5
    Thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?