Optical theorem and renormalised perturbation theory (c.f. Peskin 10.2)

In summary, it is crucial to carefully examine and question our results and assumptions in order to ensure the accuracy and validity of our findings.
muppet
Hi all,

On p.327 in my second edition of Peskin and Schroeder, I have an expression for the one loop correction to the 4-point amplitude of phi^4 theory:
[tex]i\mathcal{M}=-i\lambda - \frac{i \lambda^2}{32 \pi^2}\text{[Complicated integral]}[/tex]

Mathematica can do the integral for me, and all that I'm interested in for the moment- I think- is the imaginary part, which happens to be -I*Pi; I therefore find that to this order,
[tex]\text{Im}(\mathcal{M})=\frac{\lambda^2}{32 \pi}[/tex]

Examining the leading contribution to the optical theorem
[tex]\text{Im}(\mathcal{M}(t=0))=2E_{cm}p_{cm}\sigma_{TOTAL}[/tex]
we should compare this to the cross-section [itex]\sigma_{TOTAL}[/itex] we get from the tree-level amplitude (eq. 4.100 in my Peskin):
[tex]\sigma_{TOTAL}=\frac{\lambda^2}{32 \pi s}[/tex]

So it looks like the optical theorem is only satisfied if [itex]2E_{cm}p_{cm}=s[/itex], which is only true for massless particles. This disturbs me. Not only have we not assumed that our particles are massless, but the counterterms are singular in this limit; the only way I can find to make sense of this result is that it somehow corresponds to the check on the optical theorem performed in bare perturbation theory, with a divergent bare coupling [itex]\lambda[/itex], but having unitarity restored in a physically meaningless limit, with an assumption about a physical quantity that is not only extraneous but incorrect, doesn't make me feel any better.

Can someone please explain to me what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to carefully examine and question our results and assumptions. In this case, it seems like there may be a mistake in the calculations or an error in the assumptions made. It is important to carefully check the equations and make sure all the necessary factors are included in the calculations. It may also be helpful to consult with colleagues or experts in the field to get a fresh perspective and potentially identify any errors or misunderstandings. Additionally, it could be useful to double check the results using different methods or approaches to see if they align with the expected outcomes. Overall, it is important to remain open-minded and willing to revise our understanding if new evidence or information comes to light.

1. What is the optical theorem?

The optical theorem is a fundamental result in quantum field theory that relates the scattering amplitude for a particle to its total cross section. It states that the imaginary part of the forward scattering amplitude is equal to four times the total cross section, making it a useful tool for calculating cross sections in particle interactions.

2. How does the optical theorem relate to renormalised perturbation theory?

Renormalised perturbation theory is a method for calculating the scattering amplitudes in a quantum field theory. The optical theorem is used as a key ingredient in this method, as it allows for the calculation of the imaginary part of the scattering amplitude, which is necessary for the renormalisation process.

3. What is the significance of the optical theorem in particle physics?

The optical theorem is a powerful tool for calculating cross sections in particle interactions. It is used extensively in experimental particle physics to measure the properties of particles and test the predictions of theoretical models. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new theories and understanding the behavior of particles at high energies.

4. What are the limitations of the optical theorem?

While the optical theorem is a useful tool, it is only valid in certain cases. It assumes that the particles involved in the scattering process are non-interacting, and that the scattering is elastic. It also does not take into account higher-order corrections, which may become important at high energies.

5. How is the optical theorem derived?

The optical theorem can be derived using the principles of unitarity and analyticity in quantum field theory. It relies on the idea that the total probability of a particle to scatter is equal to the sum of the probabilities of all possible outcomes. By considering the forward scattering amplitude and applying these principles, the optical theorem can be derived.