1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Optics and a thin wedge

1. Aug 3, 2010 #1
    I'm having trouble understanding this problem. I think I'm missing something or misunderstanding the question:

A wedge-shaped film of air is made by placing a small slip of paper between the edges of two pieces of glass as shown below. Light of wave-length 600nm is incident normally on the glass, and interference fringes are observed by reection. If the angle Theta made by the plates is 3x10^-4 rad, how many interference fringes per centimetre are observed? (Hint: Use the small-angle approximation Theta = t/x.)

My thinking is that there is a path difference of 3x10^-4 rad and it is similar to a double slit experiment (or single slit experiment) causing interference on a screen some distance L away. However we haven't been given any such distance.

Here is a diagram: http://i.imgur.com/KX1C4.png

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Ηι Malby, welcome to PF.

The condition for the constructive interference is

2*t = m*λ, where t is the thickness of the air wedge at a distance x from the point of contact of the glass plates.

t/x = θ. So 2*x*θ = m*λ.

Hence the number of fringes per unit length = m = 2*x*θ/λ.

4. Aug 4, 2010 #3
    In this case isn't m the fringe number and not the fringe number per unit length? I stumbled upon another answer that said m/x was 2*theta/Lambda which gives you a value. I'm not sure about that though because surely you need to know the distance the "viewing screen" (in this case the glass) is away from the source.

5. Aug 4, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

2*x*θ = m*λ.

If β is the fringe width ( distance between successive bright or dark fringes) then

2*(x+β)*θ = (m+1)λ

So β = λ/(2θ)

And number of fringes per unit length is

1/β = 2θ/λ

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook