Why Does Mixing Blue & Yellow Create Green?

• Thread starter touqra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, the reason our eyes see green when mixing blue and yellow liquids together is due to the resolving power of the eye and the relative stimulation of the color receptors. If the liquids do not mix properly, the individual colors may still be visible. However, if a chemical reaction occurs, the new color will be uniform. Additionally, the difference between additive and subtractive colors explains why mixing blue, red, and green light produces white, while mixing pigments results in black. This is due to the absorption and emission of wavelengths by the pigments and light sources respectively.
touqra
Why is it that if I were to mix a blue and yellow liquid together, my eyes see green? Why don't I see a mixture of blue and yellow dots?

Science news on Phys.org
You can if the liquids don't mix properly. Basically, it comes down to the resolving power of the eye. Just as you can't make out the individual pixels in a photograph, even incompletely mixed colours will appear uniform unless magnified significantly. If, on the other hand, a chemical reaction rather than a physical mixing occurs, the new colour is even down to the molecular level (eg: litmus paper).

touqra said:
Why is it that if I were to mix a blue and yellow liquid together, my eyes see green? Why don't I see a mixture of blue and yellow dots?
Perhaps you would if you could see the individual molecules...

But why do I see green? Why not some other colors like purple?

Further, we see something blue, because that object absorbs all wavelength except blue wavelength. If I were to mix blue, red and green liquid together, why don't I get a white liquid? But why blue, red and green light mixed, gives you white light?

There is a difference between addative and subtractive colours. In your monitor, for example, red, green and blue are the produced colours. If all of them are on at once, you get white. In 4-colour process printing, which is essentially what your desktop printer does, the pigments are magenta, cyan, yellow, and an auxilliary black. M+C+Y= black, but it's more of a muddy brown so a true black cartridge is usually added.

touqra said:
But why do I see green? Why not some other colors like purple?

It comes down to the relative stimulation of the colour receptors in the eye. There are only three types of receptors: red, green and blue. They are not perfect and are stimulated by a range of frequencies (a bell curve).

Look at the attached diagram. Read top to bottom.

You see, the green receptors in your eyes are stimulated by BOTH the blue light AND by the yellow light, whereas the red receptors and blue receptors are less stimulated. Upshot: you see green.

touqra said:
Further, we see something blue, because that object absorbs all wavelength except blue wavelength. If I were to mix blue, red and green liquid together, why don't I get a white liquid? But why blue, red and green light mixed, gives you white light?

Danger hit it in the head. Pigments subtract colours; light sources add colours.

All pigments mixed together manage to absorb all wavelengths, leaving nothing (black). All light mixed together emit all wavelengths, leaving white.

Last edited:

1. Why does mixing blue and yellow create green?

Blue and yellow are both primary colors, meaning they cannot be created by mixing other colors. When these two colors are combined, they create a color that is not present in either of them - green. This is because blue and yellow have wavelengths of light that are complementary to each other, and when they are mixed, they cancel out each other's wavelengths and create green.

2. Can you mix any shades of blue and yellow to create green?

Yes, you can mix any shades of blue and yellow to create green. The resulting shade of green may vary depending on the specific shades of blue and yellow used. However, the basic principle of complementary wavelengths still applies, so the end result will always be a shade of green.

3. Why does green appear to be a brighter color than blue and yellow?

This is due to the way our eyes perceive color. Green has a higher luminance, or brightness, compared to blue and yellow. Our eyes are more sensitive to green light, which makes it appear brighter than blue and yellow when mixed together.

4. Is the green created by mixing blue and yellow the same as other shades of green?

No, the green created by mixing blue and yellow is a different shade of green compared to other shades. This is because each shade of green has a different combination of wavelengths, and when blue and yellow are mixed, they create a specific combination of wavelengths that make up a unique shade of green.

5. Can you create green by mixing other colors besides blue and yellow?

Yes, you can create green by mixing other colors, as long as they have complementary wavelengths. For example, mixing blue and red will also create green, as red and blue are also complementary colors. However, the resulting shade of green may be different compared to mixing blue and yellow.