1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics: beam in glass

1. Sep 8, 2006 #1
    laser beam of dia=D strikes at theta.i an n.t=1.5 glass pane. what is the diameter of the beam in the glass...

i started by setting up a geometric interpretation of the phenomena and concluded that the light would remain columned and both sides of the beam would simply shift from theta.i to theta.t, where n.t*sin(theta.t)=n.i*sin(theta.i). However, we are covering some of the physical interpretations of optics, such as dispersion and optical path lengths. Considering I'm only 3 weeks into my upperdivision optics class, what aspect of electromagnetic theroy would I introduce into this problem if any? Is it a trick question?... I doubt that.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2006 #2
    they were just looking for the trigonometric alteration of incident area... deceptivly easy...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?