1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics: Beams through a Prism

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    My big problem here is with the geometry....
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I just took a picture of the problem. It's 15-10.
    http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/9712/optics.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]n_1sin\theta_1=n_2sin\theta_2[/tex]
    [tex]n_{\bot}=1.6584[/tex]
    [tex]n_{Parallel}=1.4864[/tex] (I can't find the Parallel sign)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So the prism is a birefringent material. The beam of light which oscillates in and out of the page is perpendicular to the optical axis and is going into a medium in which it will be parallel, so to find the angle of refraction..
    [tex]1.6584sin(45°)=1.4864sin\theta_{r1}
    This gives an angle of refraction of 52.1°. Doing the opposite with the other beam of light gives an angle of 39.33°.

So for the first part, their angle of deviation is about 13°. The problem is, I cannot determine the angles in which the beams hit the other wall of the prism. Every time I think I get it, the bottom angle has an angle greater than its critical angle so total internal reflection would happen. This isn't the case from the picture so I must be doing something wrong. How would I get the angles in which the light hits the walls?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Like this? I worked my way around the triangle from the beam entry to its exit from the prism.
    prism.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook