Optics: Beams through a Prism

In summary, the problem involves a birefringent prism and a beam of light entering the prism at an angle of 45°. The prism has two different refractive indices for light polarized perpendicular and parallel to its optical axis. Using Snell's law, the angle of refraction for the perpendicular beam is found to be 52.1°, while the angle of refraction for the parallel beam is 39.33°. The angle of deviation for the first part of the problem is approximately 13°. However, it is difficult to determine the angles at which the beams hit the other wall of the prism as they may exceed the critical angle for total internal reflection. A diagram can be used to determine the angles
Xyius
My big problem here is with the geometry...

Homework Statement

I just took a picture of the problem. It's 15-10.
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/9712/optics.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]n_1sin\theta_1=n_2sin\theta_2[/tex]
[tex]n_{\bot}=1.6584[/tex]
[tex]n_{Parallel}=1.4864[/tex] (I can't find the Parallel sign)

The Attempt at a Solution

So the prism is a birefringent material. The beam of light which oscillates in and out of the page is perpendicular to the optical axis and is going into a medium in which it will be parallel, so to find the angle of refraction..
[tex]1.6584sin(45°)=1.4864sin\theta_{r1}
This gives an angle of refraction of 52.1°. Doing the opposite with the other beam of light gives an angle of 39.33°.

So for the first part, their angle of deviation is about 13°. The problem is, I cannot determine the angles in which the beams hit the other wall of the prism. Every time I think I get it, the bottom angle has an angle greater than its critical angle so total internal reflection would happen. This isn't the case from the picture so I must be doing something wrong. How would I get the angles in which the light hits the walls?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Like this? I worked my way around the triangle from the beam entry to its exit from the prism.
prism.jpg

1. What is a prism and how does it work?

A prism is a transparent optical element with flat, polished surfaces that refract and reflect light. It works by bending and separating white light into its component colors, known as the spectrum.

2. How does a beam of light pass through a prism?

A beam of light passes through a prism by entering one of its flat surfaces at an angle. As it enters, the light is refracted, or bent, towards the normal (an imaginary line perpendicular to the surface). The amount of refraction depends on the wavelength of the light, causing the different colors to separate as they exit the other side of the prism.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction in a prism?

The angle of incidence (the angle at which the light enters the prism) and the angle of refraction (the angle at which the light exits the prism) are related by Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speed of light in the first medium to the speed of light in the second medium.

4. Why does a beam of light bend when it passes through a prism?

A beam of light bends when it passes through a prism due to the difference in the speed of light in different media. As light travels from air into the glass of the prism, it slows down, causing it to bend towards the normal. When the light exits the prism and enters air again, it speeds up and bends away from the normal, causing the separation of colors.

5. How is a prism used in scientific research and technology?

Prisms are used in various scientific research and technologies, including spectroscopy, optics, and imaging. They are also commonly used in cameras, telescopes, and binoculars to help focus and direct light for clearer images. Additionally, prisms are used in fiber optics to transmit and manipulate light signals for telecommunications and internet communication.