Optics by Eugene Hecht | Buy on Amazon

• Classical
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, The book "Optics" by Hecht or Hecht & Zajak is a standard textbook for introductory optics courses and is often used as a reference for those who have taken the course. It covers a lot of topics and includes many problems with solutions provided. However, some readers find the text to be too verbose and prefer the Schaum's outline for optics by the same author. Despite its wordiness, the book explains concepts well and has a good selection of exercises.

For those who have used this book

• Total voters

User comments:
  • Redbelly98:
    Over the last 30 or so years, this has become a standard textbook for an introductory optics course typically taken by college juniors or seniors. I often refer to it to refresh my background since using it for a course in 1987.

Physics news on Phys.org
I used this book for my lower level undergraduate Optics course. I liked it a lot. From what I remember it covers a lot for a first course on optics, has neat explanations and many problems (if I remember well, the solution to odd numbered problems are in the back of the book). I have not found any better book for an introduction to optics.

Despite having taken 2 optics courses I never got much use out of this one, which was one of the recommended texts. I thought it was way too verbose and not concise at all.

I hear the schaum's outline for optics (same author) is very good though.

Just like Lavabug, I found the text very verbose. The figures found throughout the text are informative, though. There is a good selection of problems.

I would not use this text as a reference, but would use it to brush up on problem solving.

Lavabug said:

I hear the schaum's outline for optics (same author) is very good though.

I kinda agree, the book is good, but I find the Schaum's more appealing and easier to find needed information.

I agree that Hecht's Optics is far too wordy. That being said, however, I found it explained (most) concepts well, if in a wordy manner. I definitely appreciated the large number of exercises!

1. What is "Optics by Eugene Hecht" about?

"Optics by Eugene Hecht" is a comprehensive textbook on the study of light and its properties. It covers topics such as geometrical optics, wave optics, and modern optics, providing a thorough understanding of the subject.

2. Who is Eugene Hecht?

Eugene Hecht is a renowned physicist and author who has published several books on optics and physics. He is also a professor emeritus at Adelphi University and has received numerous awards for his contributions to the field of optics.

3. Is "Optics by Eugene Hecht" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Optics by Eugene Hecht" is suitable for both beginners and advanced students. It presents concepts in a clear and easy-to-understand manner, making it accessible for those with little background in optics.

4. Does "Optics by Eugene Hecht" include practical applications?

Yes, "Optics by Eugene Hecht" includes examples and applications of optical principles in various fields such as telecommunications, astronomy, and photography. This makes the textbook relevant and useful for real-world applications.

5. Can I use "Optics by Eugene Hecht" as a reference book?

Yes, "Optics by Eugene Hecht" is a valuable reference book for anyone studying or working in the field of optics. It covers a wide range of topics and includes helpful tables and diagrams for quick and easy reference.