Optics-can't figure out what i'm doing wrong

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, a scuba-diver using a diving mask with a convex spherical surface between the water and air will see objects appear closer than they actually are. Using the equation n1/s+n2/s'=(n2-n1)/r, a fish swimming 2.5 m in front of the mask will appear to be -84 cm in front of the mask. This means that the fish will appear to be in front of the mask and not in the faceplate.
pyroknife

Homework Statement

On a vacation, you are scuba-diving and using a diving mask that has a
face plate and that bulges outward with a radius of curvature of 0.50 m. As a
result, a convex spherical surface exists between the water and the air in the
mask. A fish swims by you 2.5 m in front of your mask. (a) How far in front of
the mask does the fish appear to be?

Homework Equations

n1/s+n2/s'=(n2-n1)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

The viewer is obviously inside the diving mask, so we make everything with respect to that.
n1=1, n2=1.33, s=-2.5 (since the object is located on the other side of the faceplate), r=.5. That however is not getting me the right answer. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should show your work, then perhaps someone can see where you did go wrong. Also, it is courteous to provide the answer with the question, given that you have it.

With those #s I got 1.25m (which would mean that the image appears to be in the faceplate, doesn't make sense) , the answer is -84cm (the fish appears to be in front of your mask)

1. How can I improve the resolution of my microscope?

One common mistake that affects the resolution of a microscope is improper focusing. Make sure to adjust the focus knob until the image is crisp and clear. You can also try using a higher numerical aperture objective or reducing the distance between the specimen and the objective lens.

2. Why is there a glare or halo around my microscope image?

This could be caused by improper lighting. Make sure the light source is properly aligned with the condenser and the iris diaphragm is adjusted to the correct size. You can also try using a polarizer to reduce glare.

3. Why are my images appearing distorted or stretched?

This could be due to an incorrect sample preparation technique. Make sure the sample is properly mounted and coverslip is flat. Also, check the magnification of your objective lens as using an incorrect magnification can result in distorted images.

4. How do I determine the refractive index of a material?

You can use the Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two materials. You can also use a refractometer, which measures the refractive index of a material by determining the angle of refraction.

5. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection is the bouncing back of light when it hits a smooth surface, while refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a material with a different refractive index. Reflection results in a mirror-like image, while refraction can cause objects to appear distorted or magnified.