1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics-can't figure out what i'm doing wrong

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

On a vacation, you are scuba-diving and using a diving mask that has a
    face plate and that bulges outward with a radius of curvature of 0.50 m. As a
    result, a convex spherical surface exists between the water and the air in the
    mask. A fish swims by you 2.5 m in front of your mask. (a) How far in front of
    the mask does the fish appear to be?

2. Relevant equations
    n1/s+n2/s'=(n2-n1)/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    The viewer is obviously inside the diving mask, so we make everything with respect to that.
    n1=1, n2=1.33, s=-2.5 (since the object is located on the other side of the faceplate), r=.5. That however is not getting me the right answer. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2
    You should show your work, then perhaps someone can see where you did go wrong. Also, it is courteous to provide the answer with the question, given that you have it.

4. Nov 22, 2011 #3
    With those #s I got 1.25m (which would mean that the image appears to be in the faceplate, doesn't make sense) , the answer is -84cm (the fish appears to be in front of your mask)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook