• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Optics convolution

• Thread starter physiks
  • Start date

Homework Statement

According to my notes, if we have a sinusoidal aperture/transmission function of the form a(x)=1+sin(wx) and a 'top-hat' aperture function given by b(x)=1, -0.5d≤x≤0.5d, b(x)=0 otherwise, then their convolution should give a finite sinusoidal aperture function, i.e sinusoidal but only over a certain range - outside of this it is zero.

Homework Equations

Convolution of a(x) and b(x) is ∫-∞a(y)b(x-y)dy

The Attempt at a Solution

We need ∫-∞[1+sin(wy)]b(x-y)dy, and my thinking is that the integrand is zero everywhere apart from between x-0.5d and x+0.5d, where it is simply [1+sin(wy)]. Then the convolution integral reduces to ∫x-0.5dx+0.5d[1+sin(wy)]dy giving a-{cos[w(x+d/2)]+cos[w(x-d/2)]}/w which is not the finite sinusoidal aperture function I've been told I should get. Is this right?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

The convolution of a signal with a "box" is not the signal restricted to a specific range. If you want that, you have to multiply the two functions.
"a" seems to have two different meanings which is confusing.

The convolution of a signal with a "box" is not the signal restricted to a specific range. If you want that, you have to multiply the two functions.
"a" seems to have two different meanings which is confusing.
Changed a to d, didn't realise that.

I'm not clear - the function b(x-y) is a box centred on y=x with width d, right? Then the integrand [1+sin(wy)]b(x-y) surely vanishes everywhere but for where the box is non-zero, and so basically we can write b(x-y)=1 as long as we integrate over the box, from x-0.5d to x+0.5d. Then I just do the integral. I'm not sure what you mean...

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

According to my notes, if we have a sinusoidal aperture/transmission function of the form a(x)=1+sin(wx) and a 'top-hat' aperture function given by b(x)=1, -0.5d≤x≤0.5d, b(x)=0 otherwise, then their convolution should give a finite sinusoidal aperture function, i.e sinusoidal but only over a certain range - outside of this it is zero.

Homework Equations

Convolution of a(x) and b(x) is ∫-∞a(y)b(x-y)dy

The Attempt at a Solution

We need ∫-∞[1+sin(wy)]b(x-y)dy, and my thinking is that the integrand is zero everywhere apart from between x-0.5d and x+0.5d, where it is simply [1+sin(wy)]. Then the convolution integral reduces to ∫x-0.5dx+0.5d[1+sin(wy)]dy giving a-{cos[w(x+d/2)]+cos[w(x-d/2)]}/w which is not the finite sinusoidal aperture function I've been told I should get. Is this right?
Yes, except for a sign. If ##C(x)## is the convolution we have
[tex] C(x) = a+\frac{\cos(wx - wa/2) -\cos(wx+wa/2)}{w}[/tex]
However, using standard trigonometric additional formulas, this can be manipulated to give ##C(x) = a + K \sin(w x)##, where ##K## is some constant that I will leave you to compute.

Note, however: the formula for ##C(x)## applies on the whole real line ## -\infty < x < +\infty##; it does not vanish outside of some finite interval. This follows from the fact that
[tex] C(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} a(y) b(x-y) \, dy = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} a(x-y) b(y) \, dy [/tex]
(by a simple change of variables). The second form gives
[tex] C(x) = \int_{-a/2}^{a/2} [1 + \sin(w(x-y)) \, dy [/tex]

Yes, except for a sign. If ##C(x)## is the convolution we have
[tex] C(x) = a+\frac{\cos(wx - wa/2) -\cos(wx+wa/2)}{w}[/tex]
However, using standard trigonometric additional formulas, this can be manipulated to give ##C(x) = a + K \sin(w x)##, where ##K## is some constant that I will leave you to compute.

Note, however: the formula for ##C(x)## applies on the whole real line ## -\infty < x < +\infty##; it does not vanish outside of some finite interval. This follows from the fact that
[tex] C(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} a(y) b(x-y) \, dy = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} a(x-y) b(y) \, dy [/tex]
(by a simple change of variables). The second form gives
[tex] C(x) = \int_{-a/2}^{a/2} [1 + \sin(w(x-y)) \, dy [/tex]
Thanks for your reply! So my notes say that it should give me a sinusoidal function, BUT, only over a finite interval - so we agree that they must be wrong then?