Optics-Critical Angle in Different Mediums

• Thread starter physgrl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the critical angle of a piece of transparent material in air is 37.30. When the material is immersed in water with an index of refraction of 1.33, the critical angle is 53.70°. The equation used to find the critical angle is n1*sin(θcrit) = n2*sin(90°), where n1 is the index of refraction of the starting medium and n2 is the index of refraction of the medium it is entering.
physgrl

Homework Statement

11. The critical angle of a piece of transparent material in air is 37.30. What is the critical angle of the same material when it is immersed in water? (n = 1.33)

a. 41.40
b. 48.40
*c. 53.70
d. 63.00
e. 68.20

Homework Equations

βc=sin-1(n2/n1)

The Attempt at a Solution

n2=n1*sinβc-in-air
n2=sin(37.3)

βc-in-water=sin-1(n2/n1)
βc-in-water=sin-1(sin(37.3)/1.33)
βc-in-water=27.1°

what am I doing wrong they say the answer is 53.7° thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the critical angle is the angle at the threshold of complete internal reflection. Thus for the initial scenario it is the angle measured inside the block of material, not in the air.

Complete internal reflection can only occur when the index of refraction on the far side of the boundary is less than the index of refraction in which the light is currently traveling.

ohh so n2 is really n1 basically

i get an error :/

physgrl said:
i get an error :/

You'll have to show your work so we can see.

n1=n2*sinβc-in-air
n1=1/sin(37.3)

βc-in-water=sin-1(n2/n1)
βc-in-water=sin-1(1/sin(37.3)*1.33)
βc-in-water=error

physgrl said:
n1=n2*sinβc-in-air
n1=1/sin(37.3)

βc-in-water=sin-1(n2/n1)
Good so far.
βc-in-water=sin-1(1/sin(37.3)*1.33)
Oops. I think the 1/sin bit has thrown you for your n2/n1 expression. n2 here is that of water, 1.33, so it should be in the numerator. 1/sin(37.3) should comprise the denominator.

Why not just go with a numerical value of n1 from the previous step?

so then it should be:
βc-in-water=sin-1(sin(37.3)*1.33)

so n2 is the material from which it comes from if β2 is the critical angle and in this case i comes from the water/air to the mysterious medium right? i think i was confusing which medium was 1 and which was 2 in my mind

physgrl said:
so then it should be:
βc-in-water=sin-1(sin(37.3)*1.33)

so n2 is the material from which it comes from if β2 is the critical angle and in this case i comes from the water/air to the mysterious medium right? i think i was confusing which medium was 1 and which was 2 in my mind

In both cases the light is moving from within the mystery medium towards the interface with the air or water. Check the numerical value that you got for the index of refraction of the mystery medium. I think you'll find it to be larger than that of both air and water.

n=1.65

so its basically critical=sin-1(n-to/n-from) right? cause the critical is like angle-from and the 90o is the angle-to

That's right.

I usually start with the general Snell's law equation: n1*sin(θ1) = n2*sin(θ2) and remember that for a critical angle to occur the light must be going from the medium with the larger index of refraction to the one with smaller index of refraction. Let the starting medium be "n1". Then plug in the conditions for critical angle:

n1*sin(θcrit) = n2*sin(90°)

n1*sin(θcrit) = n2

Then solve for whatever it is you're looking for.

makes sense! Thanks! :)

1. What is the critical angle in optics?

The critical angle in optics is the angle of incidence at which light is refracted along the surface of a medium, rather than passing through it. This angle is dependent on the refractive indices of the two media, and typically occurs when light travels from a higher refractive index medium to a lower refractive index medium.

2. How is the critical angle calculated?

The critical angle can be calculated using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media. The critical angle occurs when the angle of refraction is 90 degrees, making the sine of the angle of refraction equal to 1.

3. What happens when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle?

When the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, total internal reflection occurs. This means that all of the light is reflected back into the original medium, rather than being refracted into the second medium. This phenomenon is commonly seen in fiber optic cables and prism experiments.

4. Can the critical angle be changed?

Yes, the critical angle can be changed by altering the refractive indices of the two media. This can be achieved by changing the temperature or pressure of the media, or by introducing a third medium with a different refractive index. The critical angle can also be changed by changing the wavelength of the incident light.

5. What are some practical applications of the critical angle in optics?

The critical angle has several practical applications in optics. One example is in fiber optic communication, where total internal reflection is used to transmit signals through the fiber. Another example is in the design of optical lenses, where the critical angle is used to ensure that light is properly refracted to create an image. The critical angle is also important in the study of optics and light, providing insights into the behavior of light at the interface of different mediums.