Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics Device

1. May 26, 2008 #1
    Hi,
    I need to build a telescope for my physics class.
    I need to use any 3 lenses(converging or diverging) and 1 mirror.
    I was thinking of using an achromatic telescope design for that.
    However I am not sure what kind of lenses to use and whether I should make the eyepiece from two lenses or just one.
    Should I use 3 converging lenses? 2 for eyepiece then one as an objective lens?
    Thank you in advance.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There's several proven telescope and eyepiece designs out there, no need to re-invent something.

Must you only use one mirror? That rules out a lot of designs. Can your mirror be curved? that gives you an extra surface with optical power. Are you free to pick and design the lenses, or must you use lenses pre-chosen? 3 lenses plus one mirror gives 13 variables- each surface shape (7), the spacings (3) and the thicknesses (3). Glass types are another variable, but I suspect you are stuck with BK7 or the like.

I suggest you poke around and see what designs are out there.

4. May 27, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also, is something like a Newtonian design allowed? Besides the primary mirror, Newtonians have a second flat mirror whose sole purpose is to redirect the light out to the side. This 2nd mirror has nothing to do with the focusing properties of the telescope, so does this constitute one-too-many mirrors to qualify for this project?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?