Optics: Distance of Key in swimming pool

In summary, the key is 1.5 m from the edge of the pool and the length of the bottom side of the triangle is 2.13 m.
circle_square
[SOLVED] Optics: Distance of Key in swimming pool

Homework Statement

After a long day of driving you take a late-night swim in a motel swimming pool. When you go to your room, you realize that you have lost your room key in the pool. You borrow a powerful flashlight and walk around the pool, shining the light into it. The light shines on the key, which is lying on the bottom of the pool, when the flashlight is held 1.2 m above the water surface and is directed at the surface a horizontal distance of 1.5 m from the edge

If the water here is 4.0 m deep, how far is the key from the edge of the pool?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure, but I used tan(x)= opposite/adjacent and Snell's Law, nsin(x)=nsin(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

The light forms two triangles, so I figured I needed to find the angle of the flashlight to the water first. That means tan(x)=1.2/1.5, and arctan(1.2/1.5) is 38.65 degrees.

From here, I used Snell's Law to figure out the angle in the water, and since the problem didn't state an index of refraction for water, I assumed the standard of 1.33 and used n=1 for air. This means sin(38.65)=1.33sin(x), or arcsin(sin(38.65)/1.33) which equals 28.01 degrees, which I rounded to 28 degrees. This meant the third angle of the underwater triangle is 62 degrees.

That means that to find the length of the bottom side of the triangle b, I needed to use tan(62)= 4/b, or b= 4/tan(62), which I solved to equal approximately 2.13 meters.

So, I figured that the total distance to the key is the horizontal distance of the flashlight plus the underwater distance. So I have 2.13m+1.5m= 3.63 meters, which is wrong according to the computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, please!

Physics news on Phys.org
circle_square said:

Homework Equations

I'm not sure, but I used tan(x)= opposite/adjacent and Snell's Law, nsin(x)=nsin(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

The light forms two triangles, so I figured I needed to find the angle of the flashlight to the water first. That means tan(x)=1.2/1.5, and arctan(1.2/1.5) is 38.65 degrees.

From here, I used Snell's Law to figure out the angle in the water, and since the problem didn't state an index of refraction for water, I assumed the standard of 1.33 and used n=1 for air. This means sin(38.65)=1.33sin(x),

The angle of incidence is the angle the light ray makes with the normal to the surface. So it should be (90-38.65)° which you should be using in Snell’s law.

Ah... stupid mistakes like that always throw me off...

Thanks a bunch!

1. How does the distance of a key in a swimming pool affect the appearance of the key?

The distance of a key in a swimming pool can affect its appearance due to the phenomenon of refraction. When light travels from one medium to another, it changes speed and direction, causing the object to appear distorted or shifted. In the case of a key in a swimming pool, the water acts as a different medium than air, causing the key to appear closer or farther away than its actual position.

2. What factors affect the distance of a key in a swimming pool?

The distance of a key in a swimming pool is affected by the refractive index of the water, which is determined by its density and temperature. The shape and size of the key can also play a role in its perceived distance, as well as the angle at which it is viewed from the surface of the pool.

3. How does the depth of the pool impact the distance of a key?

The depth of a pool can impact the distance of a key due to the change in pressure and density of the water as the depth increases. This change in density can cause light to bend at a greater angle, making the key appear closer to the surface of the water than it actually is.

4. Can the distance of a key in a swimming pool be calculated?

Yes, the distance of a key in a swimming pool can be calculated using the laws of refraction and the known refractive index of the water. By measuring the apparent position of the key and knowing the actual position, the distance can be calculated using the formula: d = (n2/n1) x h, where d is the actual distance, n1 is the refractive index of air, n2 is the refractive index of water, and h is the apparent distance.

5. How can the distance of a key in a swimming pool be used to estimate the depth of the pool?

The distance of a key in a swimming pool can be used to estimate the depth of the pool by measuring the apparent distance of the key and using the formula: h = (n1/n2) x d, where h is the actual depth, n1 is the refractive index of air, n2 is the refractive index of water, and d is the apparent distance of the key. This calculation assumes that the key is at the bottom of the pool and that the refractive index of water remains constant throughout the depth of the pool.