1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics doubt

1. Dec 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rectangular slab of length l=20cm and thickness d=4cm is placed in left of a converging lens of focal length f=20cm. A screen is placed in the focal plane plane of lens (right side of lens).Refractive index of the material of slab increases linearly from u0 at the bottom by an amount ##du=2*10-4)## between bottom and top faces.A parallel beam is made to incident on the left side of slab. Prove that only a bright spot forms on the screen? Find its position

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Delta x=n \lambda[/tex]
    [tex]y=n \lambda /d[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here as the refractive index varies, speed of light varies. It will be faster at bottom and slower at top.
    $$v=c/ \mu$$
    $$ \mu = \mu_o + y \delta \mu $$
    For any two rays at y1 and y2 once the slowest ray comes out of slab,
    $$t=l/v => t = l/ ( \mu_0 + d \delta \mu)$$
    Hence $$ \Delta x = l(\mu_0 + d \delta \mu) \frac {(y_2-y_1) \delta \mu}{(\mu_0 + y_1 \delta \mu)(\mu_0 c + y_2 \delta \mu)} $$

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not sure what you have calculated. What is Δx? The difference in the two path lengths?
    I feel it is more useful to describe how the two light beams will be changed by the slab. Will they be bent through the same angle?
    (It might help to recognise that a rectangular slab with uniformly changing index is equivalent to a more familiar piece of optics equipment.)

4. Dec 17, 2014 #3
    Close the thread. I have solved the problem.

5. Dec 17, 2014 #4
    I have solved the problem. The question is of high level. Thank you for the response.
    Actually [tex] \mu_1 = \mu_0 + \delta \mu[/tex]
    Find the time taken by slowest ray to come out of slab. Let it be t.
    $$t=l \mu_1/c$$
    During that time find the distance traveled by fastest ray(at bottom.
    Now the situation is like fraunhoffer single slit diffraction.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted