Finding Minimum Separation of Object and Image in a Converging Lens

In summary, the smallest separation of an object and its real image formed by a converging lens with focal length f is 4f. This can be derived by using the Lens Maker's Equation and finding the minimum value of the sum of the object and image distances, which is 2f.
Brewer

Homework Statement

A converging lens of focal length f forms a real image of an object. Show that the smallest separation of the object and the image is 4f.

Homework Equations

I think:
[tex]\frac{n_1}{s_0} + \frac{n_2}{s_1} = \frac{n_2 - n_1}{R}[/tex]
small angle approximations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've not gotten too far with this.

As I understand it (I missed a couple of lectures at the end of last week and the start of this week due to illness, and am working from un-annotated handouts), s1 = f?

So in that case I assume that I need to rearrange the equation above to give me s0 in terms of f (which I would assume to be 3f as the total separation is s0 + s1).

I've tried taking this approach, and I can't seem to get rid of R or the n's within the equation, and I'm not sure what substitutions to make (they don't seem obvious from the diagrams - I would assume that they'd be trigonometrical ones).

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that's the equation you would use. You just have one lens, so you don't need to worry about different n values. Just start with the Lens Maker's Equation, like from wikipedia (or your text):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_maker_equation

[tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{q}[/tex]

And write an expression for p+q. Then use differentiation to figure out what the minimum value of p+q could be.

Do you mean get to:
[tex]p + q = \frac{pq}{f}[/tex].

If so what will I differentiate with respect to? (Or even if not, what will I differentiate WRT?)

Or do you mean something else?

Well to be honest, I didn't think much about how to set it up. I just thought about the endpoints. If the object is at infinity, then the image is focused at f. And if the object comes into f, the image is at infinity, right? So with the two extremes of position, the total of p + q is infinity, and there will be some value of p and q where the sum is minimum.

By the symmetry of the problem and the motion of the object and image, I'd expect the minimum to be where p = q (as an initial guess, and oh by the way that seems to agree with the answer they want us to derive...). One way to approach it instead of setting up a differentiation would be to assume that as the answer, and then show that if you add an infinitesimal delta in the position of the object closer to or farther from the lens, you get a bigger total for p+q. Can you try it that way?

I see what you mean about doing it that way, but I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean and how to implement it.

I've also got some problems with the terminology in the question. Is the focal length that's mentioned in the question the f that you used in the equation that you gave me?

Yeah, f is the normal abbreviation for focul length. p and q are often used for the object and image distances (although I can never remember which is which), or you can see that the wikipedia.org article uses S1 for the object distance and S2 for the image distance. What does your textbook list for the basic lens (or "Lensmaker") equation?

Can you derive an equation for the sum of S1 + S2 in terms of only f and S1? If so, can you use differentiation to minimize it with respect to S1?

I can't off the top of my head, and the textbook/lecture notes combo doesn't seem to be helping me though.

However it seems to me that the shortest distance is going to be when s1 = s2, is it fair to say this? Would it be alright to put this in the equation?

Brewer said:
However it seems to me that the shortest distance is going to be when s1 = s2, is it fair to say this? Would it be alright to put this in the equation?

Not without the mathematical proof, either with the differentiation/minimization method or with the small delta proof from your assumption.

I'll get you started with the differentiation route, but you're going to have to do the work. It may get a bit messy, but be careful with your terms and you should be able to use it to find the minimum.

[tex]\frac{1}{S_1} = \frac{1}{f} - \frac{1}{S_2} = \frac{S_2 - f}{f S_2}[/tex]

[tex]S_1 = \frac{f S_2}{S_2 - f}[/tex]

Do the same thing to get an expression for S2, then add them for an expression for S1 + S2. Then go back and substitute the equation for S2 in terms of S1 into this equation to get an equation for S1 + S2 all in terms of f and S1 only. Differentiate that equation with respect to S1 and set that result equal to zero to solve for the value of S1 that minimizes (or maximizes...) the sum of S1 + S2.

Let's see some work :biggrin:

I see what you mean. I thought you meant derive from other equations. I haven't worked it right through to the end yet, but after a few cockups along the way, I've just worked out that s1=0 or 2f at the minimum.

Thank you very much for your help. Its much appreciated.

S1 shouldn't be 0 at the minimum of S1 + S2 (because S2 is infinite then, right?). But your 2f answer matches fine. Good job.

berkeman said:
S1 shouldn't be 0 at the minimum of S1 + S2 (because S2 is infinite then, right?). But your 2f answer matches fine. Good job.

That was the reasoning that I applied to the system.

Thank you.

What is a focal length?

A focal length is the distance between the center of a lens or curved mirror and its focus point. It is a measure of how strongly the lens or mirror bends light.

What is the relationship between focal length and magnification?

The relationship between focal length and magnification is that a shorter focal length results in a larger magnification, while a longer focal length results in a smaller magnification. This is because a shorter focal length bends the light more, resulting in a larger image.

How does the focal length affect the field of view?

The focal length affects the field of view by determining how much of the scene can be captured in the image. A shorter focal length results in a wider field of view, while a longer focal length results in a narrower field of view. This is why wide-angle lenses have shorter focal lengths and telephoto lenses have longer focal lengths.

What is the difference between a fixed focal length and a zoom lens?

A fixed focal length, also known as a prime lens, has a single, fixed focal length while a zoom lens has a range of focal lengths that can be adjusted. Zoom lenses are more versatile as they allow for different magnifications and fields of view, while fixed focal length lenses are typically sharper and have wider apertures.

How does the focal length affect the depth of field?

The focal length affects the depth of field by determining how much of the image appears in focus. A longer focal length results in a shallower depth of field, meaning a smaller area of the image will be in focus. A shorter focal length results in a deeper depth of field, meaning a larger area of the image will be in focus.