1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics - glass bead

1. Oct 24, 2004 #1
    Let's say we have an objet O in front on a glass bead. The first surface will be a convex surface, hence the centre of curvature is in the back of the surface, which gives [tex]+R_1[/tex]. The object, is a real object in front of the surface, which makes it [tex]+p_1[/tex], however for the second refraction, we take [tex]q_1[/tex] which becomes [tex]-p_2[/tex] + the diameter of the glass bead.Hopefully I have grasped everything right so far, now what I'm not quite so sure about, does surface 2 have its centre of curvature in the back or in the front of the surface. Logically, I'm thinking the center of curvature is inside since the surface 2 is ). Which will give [tex]-R_2[/tex].

What I want to be sure to understand, if we have a ) refractice surface, the center of curvature is in front of the surface, and with a ( refracting surface, the center of curvature is in the back of the surface. If i picture the center of curvature as the point were you'd stick the compass in order to make a circle, is that correct?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted