Optics: Glass tube in water

In summary, the problem involves a glass rod with an index of refraction of 1.53, forming an image inside the glass when a small leaf is placed in front of it. The image distance is 9.08 cm from the spherical surface. The task is to determine the location of the image when the glass is immersed in water (refractive index 1.33), keeping everything else the same. The equations used are the lens equation and the relationship between focal length and object/image distance. The issue the person is facing is getting a large value for the image distance (250 cm) and they suspect a sign error.
Fizzicist

Homework Statement

One end of a long glass rod is ground to a convex hemispherical shape. This glass has an index of refraction of 1.53. When a small leaf is placed 20.3 cm in front of the center of the hemisphere along the optic axis, an image is formed inside the glass 9.08 cm from the spherical surface.

Where would the image be formed if the glass were now immersed in water (refractive index 1.33), but nothing else were changed?

Homework Equations

f' = [n1(n2 -1)/(n2 - n1)]f, where n1 is the index of refraction of the medium (water) and n2 is the index of refraction of the lens (glass), f is the focal length of the glass in air, f' is the focal length in water.
1/f = 1/s + 1/s' where s is the object distance and s' is the image distance.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having problems working this one out and I don't know why. I first used the lens equation to solve for the focal length in air. Then I used that focal length to find the focal length in water. Then I used that to get the new image distance. What am I doing wrong? It might be a sign problem, but I checked already and didn't seem to find one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For some reason I keep getting a large value for the image distance (250 cm). Anyone know why?

I would suggest checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct values for the refractive indices and distances. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the situation and double check your calculations. Additionally, make sure to use the correct signs for the object distance and image distance in the lens equation. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or reference a textbook for guidance.

1. What is the phenomenon observed when a glass tube is placed in water?

The phenomenon observed when a glass tube is placed in water is refraction, where the light passing through the glass tube bends as it enters the water due to the change in density between the two substances.

2. How does the shape of the glass tube affect the refraction of light?

The shape of the glass tube affects the refraction of light by changing the angle at which the light enters the water. A curved glass tube will cause the light to bend more than a straight glass tube, resulting in a different path of the light.

3. Why does the glass tube appear bent when placed in water?

The glass tube appears bent when placed in water due to the refraction of light. As the light passes through the glass tube and enters the water, it changes direction and appears to bend to the human eye.

4. What factors can affect the amount of refraction observed in the glass tube in water?

The amount of refraction observed in the glass tube in water can be affected by the angle at which the light enters the water, the shape and thickness of the glass tube, and the difference in refractive index between the glass and water.

5. How is the refraction of light in a glass tube in water related to the speed of light?

The speed of light is related to the refraction of light in a glass tube in water as the change in density between the two substances causes the light to slow down and change direction. This results in a change in the speed of light as it travels through the glass tube and water.