Solve Optics Problem w/ Hi/Ho Formula & Understand Measurements

In summary, the problem involves finding the height of an object (tree) using the formula hi/ho = -i/o and 1/i + 1/o = 1/f, where hi is the image height, ho is the object height, i is the image distance, o is the object distance, and f is the focal length. The object in this case is a man, or more specifically a tree, which is 100m away from the plane mirror held at a distance of 30cm from the observer's eye. The measurements of 5cm and 30cm correspond to the image height and distance, respectively. However, since it is a plane mirror, the formula 1/f = 0 would be used
unctarheels1
In the following problem, I am having trouble understanding the components.

- The image of a man just covers the length of a 5cm plane mirror when the mirror is held vertically 30cm from the eye. The tree is 100m from the mirror. What is the height?

* To find the height you would use hi/ho = -i/o
and you would also use 1/i + 1/o = 1/f to find these components. But I can not understand what the measurements mean in the question.

The object would be the tree, 100m from the mirror.
What are the other two (5cm and 30 cm)

Can I use the hi/ho formula directly for this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there more information, such as the height of the man, or does the tree image span the same mirror held at 30 cm from the eye? If 'man' was 'tree' the problem would make more sense.

Maybe I am missing something.

The man is the tree, I was thinking about something else when I typed it in.

Since it is a plane mirror, one wound not use 1/i + 1/o = 1/f, or rather 1/f = 0.

Think about looking through a plane of glass at the same tree. The image at 30 cm is 5 cm high, whereas the actual object is 100 m from the observer.

Draw a triangle with a leg 5 cm high at 30 cm (0.3 m) along the base from the vertex (observer). Then extend to a similar triangle along the base 100 m.

Now with respect to the mirror, if the tree is 100 m, behind the observer (vertical plane through eye), then the image of the tree would 0.3 m (from observer to mirror, and 100.3 m from mirror to tree).

What is the Hi/Ho formula and how does it help solve optics problems?

The Hi/Ho formula is a mathematical equation used in optics to calculate the magnification or reduction of an image produced by an optical system. It is derived from the basic principles of optics and takes into account the focal length and distance between the object and the lens. By plugging in the appropriate values, the formula can help determine the size and position of an image formed by the lens, making it a useful tool in solving optics problems.

Why is it important to understand measurements in optics?

Measurements in optics are crucial because they provide precise and accurate information about the characteristics of an optical system. These measurements can help determine the performance and capabilities of the system, such as the magnification, resolution, and focal length. Without a thorough understanding of measurements, it would be difficult to analyze and troubleshoot any issues that may arise in an optical system.

What are the units of measurement commonly used in optics?

The most commonly used units of measurement in optics are meters (m) for length, meters per second (m/s) for speed, radians (rad) for angles, and hertz (Hz) for frequency. These units are used to measure various parameters such as distance, speed, angle of incidence, and frequency of light in an optical system.

How can the Hi/Ho formula be applied to real-world scenarios?

The Hi/Ho formula can be applied to real-world scenarios in various fields, including photography, microscopy, and astronomy. For example, photographers can use the formula to calculate the magnification of an image produced by a lens to achieve a desired composition. Microscopists can use it to determine the resolution and magnification of a microscope, while astronomers can use it to calculate the size and position of celestial objects.

What are the limitations of the Hi/Ho formula?

The Hi/Ho formula assumes certain ideal conditions in an optical system, such as perfect lenses, negligible aberrations, and parallel light rays. In real-world scenarios, these conditions may not be met, which can result in errors and discrepancies when using the formula to solve optics problems. Additionally, the formula does not take into account factors such as diffraction and scattering of light, which can also affect the accuracy of the results.