1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics homework help

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Water is poured into a concave mirror of radius of curvature R up to a height h. An object is placed along the principal axis at a distance x above the level of the water. What should be the value of x so that the image of the object is formed on itself?

2. Relevant equations
    For an image to be formed on itself the object must be placed at the centre of curvature of the concave lens.
    Since water has been poured into the mirror, the optical length in the medium (water) is Mu*h (where Mu = refractive index of water).

3. The attempt at a solution

Object distance from the pole of the mirror = x + Mu*h
    Or R = x + Mu*h
    Or x = R - Mu*h

Since the answer given in the book is x = (R - h) / Mu, I am unable to figure out as to where I have gone wrong. Would request for help. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Re: Optics

Focal length of the water lens is (μ-1)/R.
    Light form the object once reflected from the mirror and twice refracted through water lens before returning back to the object.
    Combined focal length of the combination is
    1/F = 1/Fm + 1/Fw + 1/Fw

4. Mar 1, 2010 #3

I could not quite follow the part regarding the combined focal length. Here we have only one lens (water) and one mirror. I would request for the explanation in a little more detail. Thanks.

5. Mar 1, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When the rays from the object reflect back to its position they refract twice and reflect once. So the system is a combination of two lenses and one concave mirror. Its combined focal length is in my post.

6. Mar 2, 2010 #5

By your method I don't get the answer given in the book. I guess either the answer given in the book is incorrect, or the approach to the solution may require a re-look.

7. Mar 2, 2010 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

(x + h) can be taken as 2F of the system.
    Then
    2/(x + h) = 2/R + (μ-1)/R + (μ-1)/R .
    Solve for x.
    The answer in the book appears to be wrong.
    It should be
    x = (R/μ) - h

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook