Solving Double Slit Arrangement Q's

In summary, the conversation discusses a double slit arrangement producing fringes on a distant screen using light from a sodium spectral lamp. The angular separation of the fringes is 0.015 degrees and the conversation poses questions about the separation of the slits, changes in angular separation when various parameters are altered, and the effect of immersing the arrangement in water or using a different light source. The conversation also mentions the attempt to solve the question and seeks clarification on certain concepts.
Qyzren
Some homework q's i don't quite understand. Any help is appreciated.

A double slit arrangement produces fringes on a distant screen. Using the light from a sodium spectral lamp (lamda = 589 nm) the fringes have an angular separation of 0.015 degrees.
a) What is the separation of the slits?
b) What would the new angular separation be if
i) the slit separation were doubled?
ii) the distance to the screen were doubled?
iii) the entire arrangement were immersed in water (n=1.33)?
iv) the sodium lamp were replaced by an argon ion laser (lamda = 488 nm)?

Physics news on Phys.org
How have you attempted to solve this question?

You need to show some work before you get help.

i'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly, thus the reason why i posted.
let L = lamda so i don't have to figure out how to type lamda on this.

part a) d = mL/sin @
assume m = 1?
L=589*10^-9
d=2.25*10^-3 metres (using calc in degree mode)
d=2.25mm

bi)double the separation means d = 4.50mm
@ = arcsin (mL/d) (keeping calc in degree mode)
@ = 0.0075 degrees

bii)i think this has something to do with the equation y = R mL/d but am unsure. (where y is the distance of the fringes on the screen and R is the distance from the slit to the screen.)

biii)putting the apparatus in water shouldn't affect it i don't think.

biv)use @ = arcsin (mL/d) where m = 1, L = 488*10^-9 metres and d 2.25*10^-3 metres gives @ = 0.012 degrees

Qyzren said:
i'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly, thus the reason why i posted.
let L = lamda so i don't have to figure out how to type lamda on this.

part a) d = mL/sin @
assume m = 1?
L=589*10^-9
d=2.25*10^-3 metres (using calc in degree mode)
d=2.25mm

Do you realize why to assume m=1? The value of theta is the angular separation for m=1 (ie, the first maximum)

bi)double the separation means d = 4.50mm
@ = arcsin (mL/d) (keeping calc in degree mode)
@ = 0.0075 degrees

Didn't check the numbers, but your idea is right. (With m=1)

bii)i think this has something to do with the equation y = R mL/d but am unsure. (where y is the distance of the fringes on the screen and R is the distance from the slit to the screen.)

If the distance to the screen is doubled, would theta change? Hint: [tex] \tan \theta = y/R[/tex]

biii)putting the apparatus in water shouldn't affect it i don't think.

No, not right. What property of light, relevant to interference, changes when it travels in water?

biv)use @ = arcsin (mL/d) where m = 1, L = 488*10^-9 metres and d 2.25*10^-3 metres gives @ = 0.012 degrees

Yes.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for your help. just some things i want to verify.

siddharth said:
If the distance to the screen is doubled, would theta change? Hint: [tex] \tan \theta = y/R[/tex]
QUOTE]
i'm assuming no. because
tan @ = y/R
but y = RmL/d
so tan @ = [RmL/d]/R = mL/d which is independant of R.

and

siddharth said:
No, not right. What property of light, relevant to interference, changes when it travels in water?
QUOTE]
(new L)= L/n where (new L) has been reduced so the angle will be smaller.

again thank you so much for helping me with this :)

1. How does a double slit arrangement work?

A double slit arrangement involves passing a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting pattern of light and dark fringes on a screen. The light waves from each slit interact with each other, creating an interference pattern.

2. What is the purpose of a double slit arrangement?

A double slit arrangement is commonly used to demonstrate the wave nature of light. It can also be used to measure the wavelength of light and to study the principles of interference and diffraction.

3. How is the distance between the slits related to the resulting interference pattern?

The distance between the slits, also known as the slit separation, affects the spacing of the interference pattern. As the slit separation increases, the distance between the fringes also increases.

4. What factors can affect the interference pattern in a double slit arrangement?

The interference pattern in a double slit arrangement can be affected by the wavelength of light, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the screen and the slits. It can also be affected by any obstructions or disturbances in the path of the light waves.

5. How can the double slit arrangement be used to determine the wavelength of light?

By measuring the distance between the fringes on the screen and knowing the distance between the slits, the wavelength of light can be calculated using the equation λ = d*sin(θ), where λ is the wavelength, d is the slit separation, and θ is the angle between the screen and the direct line between the slits and the screen.