Optics for High School Senior at Ohio State Univ.

In summary, this high school senior is taking classes at Ohio State University and has decided to take Stellar, Galactic, & Extragalactic Astronomy & Astrophysics next semester. In the class, she has been struggling with the mathematical derivations but has been generally able to understand concepts. If she were to take the Optics class next semester, she would likely have even more trouble with the derivations.
Astro Student
I'm a high school senior taking classes at Ohio State University. I'm currently enrolled in Basic Astrophysics and Planetary Astronomy, and have already decided to take Stellar, Galactic, & Extragalactic Astronomy & Astrophysics (wow that is LONG!) next semester.

I've been looking at other tentative courses and the only physics class I'd be able to take in addition next semester would be Optics. I'm not sure if I'm going to be a physics major (or even a STEM major) and was just looking for something fun and challenging. My current astrophysics course is hard but not unmanageable. I have an A but I rarely understand what the professor is talking about in the class, and am maintaining a good grade simply because I am good at manipulating the formulas.

I guess this post really just boils down to the following questions: Do you think I will be able to handle this class? Is it interesting? Would it be useful to me in other fields should I choose something else?

Here's a course description of the Optics class:
"Introduces students to the fundamentals of modern optics. Topics will include Maxwell's equations, reflection & refraction, interference & diffraction, lasers and optical imaging."

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no way to tell... but if you are having troubke understanding the material and are just getting by through manipulating equations then you will gave worse trouble later no matter what courses you take. Physics is very unforgiving of rote learning.

Simon Bridge said:
There is no way to tell... but if you are having troubke understanding the material and are just getting by through manipulating equations then you will gave worse trouble later no matter what courses you take. Physics is very unforgiving of rote learning.

I think I phrased the original context badly. I understand most conceptual things, such as why things happen. When it comes to the mathematical derivations however, I'm frequently confused as to what is going on. I think it may have to do with astrophysics' involving a lot of vector and multivariable calculus, which I haven't taken. The derivations get very confusing and learning their mechanics is rather onerous.

1. What is Optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the properties and behavior of light, including its interactions with matter and the instruments used to detect and measure it. It also includes the study of the phenomena related to the generation, propagation, and detection of electromagnetic radiation in the visible, infrared, and ultraviolet regions of the spectrum.

2. Why is Optics important for high school seniors?

Optics is important for high school seniors because it is a fundamental concept in physics and is essential for understanding many everyday phenomena. It also plays a crucial role in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and telecommunications.

3. How is Optics taught at Ohio State University?

At Ohio State University, Optics is taught through lectures, laboratory experiments, and hands-on projects. Students will learn about the basic principles of Optics, such as reflection, refraction, diffraction, and polarization, and how to apply them to real-world problems. They will also have the opportunity to work with advanced equipment and technology in the university's state-of-the-art optics labs.

4. What are the career opportunities for students studying Optics at Ohio State University?

There are numerous career opportunities for students studying Optics at Ohio State University. Some popular career paths include working in the fields of optics and photonics, telecommunications, laser technology, and imaging and sensing. Graduates can also pursue further studies in areas such as engineering, medicine, and astronomy.

5. Can high school seniors participate in research projects related to Optics at Ohio State University?

Yes, high school seniors can participate in research projects related to Optics at Ohio State University. The university offers various research opportunities for undergraduate students, including those interested in the field of Optics. Students can work with faculty members on ongoing research projects or even conduct their independent research under the guidance of a professor.