Why Does an Object Appear Larger Underwater?

• Thread starter shirel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Underwater
In summary, the apparent size difference of an object in water compared to outside of water is due to the difference in refractive indices between air and water, causing light to bend as it passes through the interface of the two media. This effect is further amplified when the interface is curved, creating a lens-like effect and resulting in magnification.
shirel
Hey

I've wanted to know why does the image of an object, which was put in water, seems to be larger than the real object, for a person, who sees it from outside the water.

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Shirel.
Optics is an extremely complicated field, but the basic answer deals with the difference of the refractive properties of air vs water. The interface where the two meet acts as a lens.
That's all that I've got, but someone more involved with the subject will be along shortly.

Thank you very much :)
I'll be glad if someone could give me more specific answer. I know that the refractive index of water is great than the refractive index of air, but I still didn't understand why does it occurs.

The index of refraction for a medium is given by

[tex]n_{medium}=\frac{c}{v_{medium}}[/tex]

So the whole situation is related to the fact that the speed of the light waves changes as the waves move between media with different indices of refraction (and the subsequent effects this has on the light waves).

In short: As the light reflected from the object moves from a medium with one index of refraction to that of another, it "bends" at the interface between the two media, either creating the appearance of "shrinking" the image or "blowing it up" depending on the situation.

As to the "why" this happens, you might want to have a look at Snell's law and Hugyens' Principle.

Does that help?

hey thank you too, actually I already know Snell's law. I only learned geometrical optics, and therefore I'm not familiar with Huygens–Fresnel principle. However, now I understand it, thank you very much!

shirel said:
hey thank you too, actually I already know Snell's law. I only learned geometrical optics, and therefore I'm not familiar with Huygens–Fresnel principle. However, now I understand it, thank you very much!

Ha! My good deed for the day! :biggrin:

shirel said:
Hey

I've wanted to know why does the image of an object, which was put in water, seems to be larger than the real object, for a person, who sees it from outside the water.

That is only true sometimes- when there is a curved interface between the water and air (i.e. the sides of a glass). When this happens, the interface acts as a lens with optical power, thus there is magnification.

1. Why does an object appear larger underwater?

When light travels from one medium to another, it changes speed and direction. In water, light travels at a slower speed than in air. This causes the light rays to bend, or refract, as they enter and exit the water. This refraction makes objects appear closer and larger than they actually are.

2. Does every object appear larger underwater?

No, not every object will appear larger underwater. The degree of magnification depends on the angle at which the light enters and exits the water. Objects that are viewed at a perpendicular angle to the water's surface will appear the same size, while objects viewed at an angle will appear larger.

3. How does the depth of the water affect the size of the object?

The depth of the water does not have a significant impact on the size of the object. As long as the light rays are passing through the same amount of water, the refraction will remain consistent. However, if the depth of the water is significant, it may appear to distort the shape of the object due to the different light angles.

4. Why do objects appear distorted underwater?

As mentioned earlier, the refraction of light can cause objects to appear closer and larger than they actually are. This change in perception can also make objects appear distorted or stretched, especially at greater depths where the light rays are passing through more water and at different angles.

5. Do all colors appear the same underwater?

No, the colors of objects can appear different underwater. This is because water absorbs different colors of light at different rates, with red and orange being the first to be absorbed. This causes objects to appear bluer or greener than they would in air. Additionally, the amount of sediment or particles in the water can also affect the color of objects underwater.