1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics: Interference

1. Oct 23, 2013 #1
    “Light is emitted with a central wavelength of 500 nm. First it is analysed with a Michelson Interferometer: starting from uniform illumination, one of the mirrors is displaced 2.5 mm until no new fringes can be distinguished. Then it is analysed with a Young´s Double Slit: it is observed that the intensity of the minima adjacent to a certain maximum is not zero, but 0.05% of the maximum intensity. What is the order of said maximum?”

So I don´t really have any idea what to do. I tried to obtain order m by finding the intensity ratio:
    I_max/I_min =cos^2⁡(δ_max/2)/cos^2⁡(δ_min/2) =0.0005
    Where:
    δ_max/2=πm and δ_min/2=π(m+1/2)
    But it turns out that m is not an integer, but 0.0071. And when I use the standard order equation for the interferometer, I get:
    2∆d/λ=∆m
    And this gives a change in m of about 10000!

Basically I don´t understand the link between the two parts of the question and any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?