Optics: Lensmaker's Equation

• Thread starter Lemmy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, a plane convex lens is made of glass (index 1.42) with one flat surface and the other having a radius of 24 cm. The focal length of the lens is 1/[(n-1)*(1/r1)-(1/r2))], which is -57.142857 cm.
Lemmy

Homework Statement

A plane convex lens is made of glass (index 1.42) with one flat surface and the other having a radius of 24 cm. What is the focal length of the lens? Anwer in united of cm.

Homework Equations

Lensmaker Equation
1/f=(n-1)*((1/r1)-(1/r2))

The Attempt at a Solution

f=1/[(n-1)*(1/r1)-(1/r2))]

f=1/[(1.42-1)*((1/-24cm)-(1/0))]
f=-57.142857

Is this right?? If the surface is flat on the lens, radius is given as 0 then correct? please check my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lemmy said:
If the surface is flat on the lens, radius is given as 0 then correct?
Think about it. As the radius of a sphere gets smaller, does the surface get flatter or more curved?

Doc Al said:
Think about it. As the radius of a sphere gets smaller, does the surface get flatter or more curved?
Oh wait hrmm, when the probelm refers to the surface, is it talking about the tangent line?
or would the image look like this (| which i thought the lens looked like, but you must be saying it looks like this instead of ()/ with the / being the surface.

OHHhhh hrmm, lol CONVEX meaning Radius is POSITIVE!

so i know that it's not 1/-24, but 1/24 but is r2 still 1/0?

Last edited:
Lemmy said:
Oh wait hrmm, when the probelm refers to the surface, is it talking about the tangent line?
or would the image look like this (| which i thought the lens looked like, but you must be saying it looks like this instead of ()/ with the / being the surface.
Yes, the lens looks like (| or |).

OHHhhh hrmm, lol CONVEX meaning Radius is POSITIVE!
Whether the radius is positive or negative depends on its orientation and your sign convention. (See the two possibilities above.) But that won't change the focal length.

so i know that it's not 1/-24, but 1/24
OK, if the shape is (|.
but is r2 still 1/0?
Not sure what you mean here. What's the "radius" of a flat surface? (See my hint earlier.)

Doc Al said:
Not sure what you mean here. What's the "radius" of a flat surface? (See my hint earlier.)

for the "but is r2 still 1/0?"

what i am asking , is the radius of curvature for the second lens surface given as 0 since it is flat? Because what flat surface has a radius? is what i am proposing.

In the lens maker equation light is traveling through the convex lenx first then, through the flat surface which is 1/r2 in the equation. so what i am asking is am i correct by saying 0 is the radius of curvature for the flat surface?

Light ray -------> (|

Lemmy said:
what i am asking , is the radius of curvature for the second lens surface given as 0 since it is flat? Because what flat surface has a radius? is what i am proposing.
I understand. But I want you to figure it out for yourself! :smile:

Try this: Compare a giant ball (large radius) with a tiny ball (small radius). Which surface is flatter? (What I'm getting at is: Would you represent a flat surface as a spherical surface with large radius or small radius?)

Doc Al said:
I understand. But I want you to figure it out for yourself! :smile:

Try this: Compare a giant ball (large radius) with a tiny ball (small radius). Which surface is flatter? (What I'm getting at is: Would you represent a flat surface as a spherical surface with large radius or small radius?)

Well okay, Giant ball = Earth, surface looks flat. Small ball tiny ball, looks curved. Lol but i still don't understand my 1/0 lol

But i would represent a flat surface as a spherical surface with a large radius. So isn't 1/0 flat?

I think you've got the answer, so I don't know what your issue is. Think logically:

- surface 2 is flat
- flat means zero curvature (the surface is not curved)
- the definition of curvature is 1/(radius of curvature) = 1/r2
- therefore, 0 = 1/r2
- r2 = ?

Lemmy said:
But i would represent a flat surface as a spherical surface with a large radius.
Exactly. So r = infinity would be the radius for a flat surface. (That's different from what you were saying earlier.)

Doc Al said:
Exactly. So r = infinity would be the radius for a flat surface. (That's different from what you were saying earlier.)

AHhhh i see, thank you :)

What is the Lensmaker's Equation?

The Lensmaker's Equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the focal length of a lens based on its physical properties, such as its curvature and refractive index.

How is the Lensmaker's Equation derived?

The Lensmaker's Equation is derived from the Gaussian lens formula, which relates the object distance, image distance, and focal length of a lens. It takes into account the curvature of the lens surfaces and the difference in refractive index between the lens material and its surroundings.

What factors affect the focal length of a lens according to the Lensmaker's Equation?

According to the Lensmaker's Equation, the focal length of a lens is affected by its radius of curvature, the refractive index of the lens material, and the refractive index of the surrounding medium.

Can the Lensmaker's Equation be used for all types of lenses?

The Lensmaker's Equation is applicable to thin lenses, which have a thickness much smaller than their radius of curvature. It can also be used for a combination of thin lenses, as long as the distance between the lenses is much larger than their individual focal lengths.

How accurate is the Lensmaker's Equation in predicting the focal length of a lens?

The Lensmaker's Equation is a simplified model that assumes the lens surfaces are perfectly spherical and the refractive index is constant throughout the lens. In reality, lenses may have slight imperfections that can affect the accuracy of the equation. However, it is still a useful tool for estimating the focal length of a lens.