1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics:Mirrors at right angles

1. Jul 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

?temp_hash=d14f61e438ca942a47182ba6a8483856.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

There will be 3 images formed .If the man is standing symmetrically then first image will be behind mirror M1 .2nd will be behind M2 . 3rd will lie on the angle bisector of the mirrors .This image will be behind both M1 and M2 .

Now I don't think in any of the images , the man will be seen using his right hand .He will be seen combing with his left hand .But this is incorrect answer .

What is the mistake?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2017 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Try sketching the layout. What will this image look like?

Have you ever looked into the corner of two mirrors at right-angles? Its a reasonably common find in elevators.

4. Jul 8, 2017 #3
    Do we assume man to be facing one of the mirrors Or Is he facing the corner of the mirrors ?

No . Never had the opportunity to look in right angled mirrors .

5. Jul 8, 2017 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It simply says 'how many images will be seen'. i.e. no assumptions need be made.

BTW, you noted that yourself in your answer: 3 images will be seen.

Pretend you are hovering over the man's head. Sketch the diagram of the images:
    mirrors.png

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  6. Jul 8, 2017 #5
    From your posts it seems that this 3rd image behind the corner is the one where the man is seen using the right hand . Is that the case ?

7. Jul 8, 2017 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I am not saying that at all.

I provided a sketch for you to mark up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted