Can It Be Proven That Optics Field Amplitudes Satisfy Negative Frequencies?

In summary, the conversation is about the property of field amplitudes in quantum optics, specifically the fact that E(-w) = E*(w). The speakers question how this can be proven, but then conclude that it is a trivial property and not specific to quantum cases. They also discuss different notations for the property and reference a book on nonlinear optics for further explanation.
Niles
Hi

In (quantum) optics, many authors state that the field amplitudes satisfy

[tex]
E\left( { - \omega } \right) = E^* \left( \omega \right)
[/tex]

But how is it that one can prove that this is correct? I have never seen any book do this,

Science news on Phys.org
Isn't this trivial and not specific to quantum cases anyways? Suppose you have an oscillating E-field (of course, the same works for the B-field component),
[tex]E(\vec{r},\omega,t)=E_0(\vec{r},t)e^{-i \omega t}[/tex]

Then the property you mention is trivial.

You might be right; it probably isn't related to quantum cases. Here is how I have understood it: We can generally write

[tex]
E\left( {r,t} \right) = \sum\limits_{n > 0} {\left( {E\left( r \right)e^{ - i\omega t} + c.c.} \right) = \sum\limits_{n,\,\,all} {E\left( \omega \right)e^{ - i\omega t} } }
[/tex]

The last equality follows it we define

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
E\left( r \right) \equiv E\left( \omega \right) \\
E\left( \omega \right)^* = E\left( { - \omega } \right) \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

But these are just definitions. So I don't see how we can really prove that [itex]

E\left( { - \omega } \right) = E^* \left( \omega \right)

[/itex]Niles.

Ok, it's pretty obvious now. Thanks.

What are negative frequencies in optics?

Negative frequencies in optics refer to frequencies that have a negative value on the electromagnetic spectrum. This means that the waves associated with these frequencies are propagating in the opposite direction compared to positive frequencies.

What is the significance of negative frequencies in optics?

Negative frequencies play a crucial role in several areas of optics, such as in the study of metamaterials and negative refraction. They also have applications in signal processing and communication technologies.

How are negative frequencies related to the concept of complex numbers?

Negative frequencies are represented by complex numbers in optics. This is because they have both a real and imaginary component, with the imaginary component representing the direction of propagation.

Can negative frequencies be observed in real life?

Negative frequencies cannot be directly observed in real life because they are theoretical concepts. However, their effects can be observed in certain optical phenomena, such as negative refraction and the Doppler effect.

How are negative frequencies used in optical experiments and research?

Negative frequencies are used in experiments and research to study light behavior in unique and unconventional ways. They can help scientists better understand the properties of light and develop new technologies and materials with enhanced capabilities.