1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics of extended sources

1. Oct 30, 2009 #1
    I'm currently trying to look into the optics of extended sources. Google doesn't seem too helpful.

Anyway, I have just been thinking about it and thought that surely one of the easiest problems would be the intensity at a screen at a particular distance from an incoherent, spatial extended source.

To me it looks pretty much like an electrostatics problem, common as an undergraduate.

I'm envisioning a line of infinitesimal sources, which will each contribute some light to a point. Which assuming a Lambertian emitter will be the intensity of that infinitesimal point but taking into account the 1/r^2 drop off and the cosine of the angle of the point.

I then integrate over the whole source. However when I put this into maxima (can't do it manually) I get some horrendously long expressions.

Am I doing something wrong with my model and can anyone suggest an introductory text for extended sources?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It is covered in many optics courses, but disguised. In fact, what you are asking is the far-field diffraction pattern for an aperture, when the field aperture is not a (coherent) plane wave but an incoherent field, and the aperture is shaped like your source. Try that approach and see what happens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook