Optics of extended sources

I'm currently trying to look into the optics of extended sources. Google doesn't seem too helpful.

Anyway, I have just been thinking about it and thought that surely one of the easiest problems would be the intensity at a screen at a particular distance from an incoherent, spatial extended source.

To me it looks pretty much like an electrostatics problem, common as an undergraduate.

I'm envisioning a line of infinitesimal sources, which will each contribute some light to a point. Which assuming a Lambertian emitter will be the intensity of that infinitesimal point but taking into account the 1/r^2 drop off and the cosine of the angle of the point.

I then integrate over the whole source. However when I put this into maxima (can't do it manually) I get some horrendously long expressions.

Am I doing something wrong with my model and can anyone suggest an introductory text for extended sources?

Answers and Replies

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It is covered in many optics courses, but disguised. In fact, what you are asking is the far-field diffraction pattern for an aperture, when the field aperture is not a (coherent) plane wave but an incoherent field, and the aperture is shaped like your source. Try that approach and see what happens.