1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics of spherical surfaces expressed as functions of y

1. Jun 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem is: A maksutov camera, which is made from a refelector with a spherical surface s and a transparent corrector with two spherical surfaces s1 and s2. The radii of s, s1 and s2 are 2f, r1 and r2, respecitvely. Z=0 is the centre of all these spherical surfaces.

There is a diagram with y-z axis, with the 3 spherical surfaces as shown above centred on z axis.

(a) Express the profiles of the spherical surfaces in Figure 2 as functions of y and then expand these to the 4th power of y.

(b)Suppose the refractive index of the corrector is n and that r1 = f. Derive an expression for r2 that enables the corrector to correct the spherical aberration of the reflector.

2. Relevant equations

Not sure - hard topic with bad lecturer

3. The attempt at a solution

For (a) i know the equations of the surfaces when expanded to 4th power to be:

S = 2f - y^2/4f - y^4/(64f^3)

S1 = r1 - y^2/2r1 - y^4/(8r1^3)

S2 = r2 - y^2/2r2 - y^4/(8r2^3)

but i need to know the initial function of y before expansion?

Also for part (b)

I need help gettin from

(n-1)((1/r1^3)-(1/r2^3))(y^4/8) = (y^4/32f^3)

to the solution (below)

Question states r1 = f

Supposed to end up with

r2 = ((4n-4)/(4n-5))^(1/3)) * f

Can any one show me the steps?!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted