Understanding Phase Difference in Birefringent Materials

In summary, the conversation discusses the phase difference associated with a light wave going through a birefringent material. The time phase is generally ignored since it is dependent solely on frequency and the changes in group velocity are reflected in the spatial phase dependence. The phase progression is the same for both waves, regardless of the time spent in the material. The reason for using the spatial description is because it can be directly manipulated by changing the crystal thickness. Calculating in the time domain would require determining the time it takes for each beam to pass through the crystal and translating that into a phase difference.
Niles
Hi

The phase difference associated with a light wave going through a birefringent material is given in this link (the first equation)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_plate

My question is: Why do they only treat the spatial difference? I mean, there should also be a phase difference occurring because of the time-difference it takes for the light going through those paths?

Science news on Phys.org
The phase for time is generally ignored since the phase progression is the same for waves of the same frequency. If there is a phase offset at the beginning, that is absorbed into the amplitude coefficients.

Born2bwire said:
The phase for time is generally ignored since the phase progression is the same for waves of the same frequency. If there is a phase offset at the beginning, that is absorbed into the amplitude coefficients.

The don't understand the bold part. The waves travel at different velocities (since different IOR), hence they spend different time in the material.

Niles said:
The don't understand the bold part. The waves travel at different velocities (since different IOR), hence they spend different time in the material.

The time phase is independent of the phase/group velocities of the wave. It is dependent solely on the frequency of the wave. The change in the group velocity would be reflected in the spatial phase dependence since it changes the wave number (or you can think of it as changing the wavelength). That is because the phase dependence, of say a plane wave, is
[tex] ~ e^{i\left(\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r} - \omega t\right)}[/tex]
The phase velocity is \omega/k, the group velocity is d\omega/dk. Since \omega is constant, the changes in velocity would be reflected in the wave number k.

Born2bwire said:
The time phase is independent of the phase/group velocities of the wave. It is dependent solely on the frequency of the wave. The change in the group velocity would be reflected in the spatial phase dependence since it changes the wave number (or you can think of it as changing the wavelength). That is because the phase dependence, of say a plane wave, is
[tex] ~ e^{i\left(\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r} - \omega t\right)}[/tex]
The phase velocity is \omega/k, the group velocity is d\omega/dk. Since \omega is constant, the changes in velocity would be reflected in the wave number k.

This I agree with; but I don't believe it explains what happens to that extra ∆t the wave with the smaller vgroup spends in the material. I mean, at t=0 the wave enters the material, and a time t0 after the first component exits the material, and t0+∆t after the last component exits.

Niles said:
This I agree with; but I don't believe it explains what happens to that extra ∆t the wave with the smaller vgroup spends in the material. I mean, at t=0 the wave enters the material, and a time t0 after the first component exits the material, and t0+∆t after the last component exits.

But the phase progression is the same. The slower wave will have the exact same time induced phase as the faster one when they are measured. At t_0+\delta t, the faster wave will also have the extra \delta t worth of phase. It doesn't matter how long the wave spends in the material, the phase progression from time is independent of the material, it only depends on frequency.

Niles, you are correct, the effect is the same if you calculate it one way or the other. The reason why we use the spatial description is, because we can manipulate it directly by making the crystal thinner or thicker.

If you would try to calculate it in the time domain, you would have to find out how long it takes each beam to pass the crystal from the thickness and the respective light speeds, and how much phase difference that time difference translates into.

One more multiplication... that's all.

1. What is phase difference in optics?

Phase difference in optics is a measure of the difference in the phase or timing of two waves. In other words, it is the difference in the position of two waves in their respective cycles. It is an important concept in understanding interference and diffraction of light waves.

2. How is phase difference calculated?

Phase difference is typically calculated using the formula Δφ = 2πΔx/λ, where Δφ is the phase difference, λ is the wavelength of the waves, and Δx is the difference in path length between the two waves. This formula is based on the fact that one complete cycle of a wave is equal to 2π radians.

3. What is the significance of phase difference in optics?

Phase difference is significant in optics because it determines whether two waves will constructively or destructively interfere with each other. When the phase difference is a multiple of 2π, the waves will constructively interfere and produce a bright spot, while a phase difference of an odd multiple of π will cause destructive interference and create a dark spot.

4. How does phase difference affect the color of light?

The phase difference between different colors of light can affect the way they interact with each other. For example, when white light is passed through a diffraction grating, the different colors of light will have different phase differences and therefore produce different interference patterns, resulting in the separation of colors.

5. Can phase difference be changed?

Yes, phase difference can be changed by altering the path length of one of the waves or by changing the frequency of one of the waves. This can be achieved through various means such as using lenses or mirrors to change the path of light, or by using devices like phase shifters to change the frequency of the wave.