1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics : Polygonal mirrors

1. Jul 1, 2009 #1
    Hello Forum , i have a Polygonal mirror with 6 facets of mirrors , i am working in a project for a scan system without lens . I would like to ask you about a document or books to find the formulas of : Scan Angle,The distance between the polygon and the scan plane in a system without a scan lens,The total length of the scan line in the scan plane.
    Thank you in advance,
    Anita

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't know of a succinct reference- maybe there's an optical design book in a library near you with a relevant chapter. All I have is a few sections in "Building Electro-Optical Systems", by Phil Hobbs.

He treats the problem purely geometrically- a 6-facet mirror gives a total angular scan of 4*pi/6, and the beam scans at constant angular frequency.

Moreover, he notes that becasue the rotation axis does not pass through a surface, the scanned beam translates as well as pivots during a line. So-called f-[tex]\theta[/tex] lenses are used to convert constant angular velocity scans to constant linear velocity scans by use of distortion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook