1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics problem: electromagnetic theory

1. Nov 21, 2004 #1
    If anyone who's good at optics/physics can help me with this electromagnetic part of optics...it'll be great.

so here's the problem:

imagine an electromagnetic wave with it's E-field in the y-direction. Show that (dE/dx)=-(dB/dt) applied to the harmonic wave B

E=Eo cos(kx - wt) B=Bo cos(kx - wt)

yields to the fact that Eo=cBo
    in agreement with Ey=cBz

thanx in advance :blushing:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi cuti_pie75.

Just work out (dE/dx)=-(dB/dt) with what you're given.
    I`ll do dE/dx:

[tex]\frac{dE}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx} E_0 \cos(kx-\omega t) = -kE_o\sin(kx-\omega t)[/tex]
    Differentiate B with respect to t and use the equation (dE/dx)=-(dB/dt).

You also need that [itex]\vec E_0=E_y \hat y[/itex] (this was given).
    And assuming the direction of the wave is in the +x-direction. [itex]\vec B_0= B_z \hat z[/itex].
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  4. Nov 21, 2004 #3
    Thank you very much for your fast reply Galileo, everything's much more clearer to me now...but i just have one more question:

i did the derivative for B in respect to t and comes to: kEo = -wBo
    so my question is -w/k = c?

anyway, sorry for the bother and thanx again!
  5. Nov 21, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Almost, remember the equation is (dE/dx)=-(dB/dt), so you have a minus sign. There is another minus sign coming from the derivative of the cosine and another one from the chain rule (derivative of (kx-wt) with respect to t is -w).
    So you get kEo=wBo
    w/k indeed equals the speed of the wave (c in this case).
    the way I always remember it, is by knowing that a traveling wave always has the form f(x-vt) with v the speed of the wave. kx-wt=k(x-w/kt), so w/k is the speed,
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?