1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics Problem: What am I doing wrong?

1. Jan 29, 2005 #1
    Hey Everyone..
    I'm having trouble with this question, I think I have this question figured out but my answer is coming out incorrect... Tell me if there is a flaw in my logic.. question is:

"Suppose that a luminous star of radius R1=1.74×108 m is surrounded by a uniform atmosphere extending up to a radius R2=4.28×108 m and with index of refraction n=1.82. When the sphere is viewed from a location far away in vacuum, what is its apparent radius?"

What I did was consider the outer edge of the atmosphere a spherical refracting surface.. and using the equation: n1/P + n2/q = (n2-n1)/R
    (sorry for not using latex)

And then I took a point from the star's surface, and take the distance form the atmosphere to that point the image distance (where P is just R2 - R1).
    I also took n1 as 1.82 and n2 as 1 since it's just vacuum.. and according to the sign conventions the radius should be negative..

After I got the image distance (which was negative, a virtual image), I subtracted it's absolute value from R2, and that should be apparent radius. Am I wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2005 #2
    btw, the answer I got when I did this was 2.313x10^8 m

there's a hint on that question but it made sense to me.. Here it is just in case: "What is special about the case R2 > n*R1? "
  4. Jan 30, 2005 #3
    Ideas anyone?
  5. Jan 30, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Feb 1, 2005 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  7. Feb 2, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I found the original problem online and it seems that they wanted the answer in your form, since one had to incorporate the given R2>nR1
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?