1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics Problem

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a bathroom mirror with a glass sheet of thickness d and an index of refraction n. Your face is located at a distance h from the front surface of the galss sheet. a
    a. find the position of the image of your face that you see due to the reflection from the front surface of the glass
    b. find the position of the image of your face that you see due to the reflection from the mirror surface behind the glass. Take into accound the effects of refraction at the glass-air interface.

2. Relevant equations
    na/s + nb/s' = (nb - na)/R
    1/s + 1/s' = 1/f

3. The attempt at a solution
    for part a, we know that the image is a distance of h behind the glass, thus s' = -h. However, i'm not sure what to do for the second part.
    the answer to part b is h+2d/n, but I'm not sure how to get there. If someone could help me that would be much appreciated. Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2
    I tried to do something else and I got close to the answer, but still not it:

first i did:

1/h+ n/s' = 0 (because R --> infinity for plane mirror)
    s' = -nh
    then I took the distance from the surface of the mirror to the glass, d, and subtracted s' from it to find the object distance for the mirror:

s2 = d+nh.
    After reflection, we have s2' = -d-nh. Then using the 'relevant equation' to find the final image, i get

n/(-d-nh) =-1/(finalim)

final im = (d+nh)/n => d/n + h.

So, I am off by a factor of two on the (d/n) term. I'm not sure what it is that i'm doing wrong. if someone could please help me out, that would be much appreciated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?