1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics problems

1. Jan 4, 2008 #1
    Problem 1:
    A thin hollow glass sphere has a radius of 1 m. A coin is placed at the bottom of the glass sphere. 2.09 metre cube of a liquid of refractive index 1.5 is poured into the glass shpere. A person is viewing the object vertically. What is the apparent depth of the coin?

Im not sure if there will be refraction at the glass surface and i dont know how to consider it. I need help.

Problem 2:
    A convex lens has a thickness 0.2m. The radii of curvature of the two surfaces are 1 and 2 m respectively. An object is kept at a distance of 10m from the left surface. The right surface is silvered. Find the position of final image.

I considered refraction at surface 1 , refration at surface 2, then reflection and then again refraction at surface 2 and refration at surface 1.
    Is that right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1, The glass is a 'thin shell' so ignore it's refraction. You just have to consider a plano-spherical lens of water of whatever thickness that depth works out as.

2, Nearly, there is no refraction at surface 2 because there is no other medium between the glass and the silver. ( Ignoring complicated stuff about evervescent waves and surface plasmons).
  4. Jan 5, 2008 #3
    My book says, when there is a silvered lens, we are supposed to consider it as a lens and a mirror seperately and consider 4 refractions and 1 reflection. I am unable to verify this from any standard textbook. Any source you'll suggest?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?