1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics qn

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    fringes are observed when a parrallel beam of light of wavelength 500nm is incident perpendiculary onto a wedge-shaped film with an index of refraction of 1.5. What is the angle of the wedge if the fringe separation is 1/3cm?

2. Relevant equations
    t(x)=xtan(theta)
    2nt=m*lamda (m+.5) for deconstructive
    x=(lamda/2)/2n*tan(theta)
    t=lamda/2n
    3. The attempt at a solution
    ok im really struggling to understand this qn, i thought simple trig, t=1.66x10^-9
    but now completely stuck... coz i think i need the x value..... but no idea how to find it??? can anyone help? pic-1.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2
    anyone?

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3
    anyone know how?

5. Mar 26, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry - if you reply to your own question is shows as answered so people ignore it!

With[tex]\theta[/tex] in radians t = x [tex]\theta[/tex]
    As you say you need 2t to be an odd number of half wavelenghts
    t = n(m+0.5) [tex]\lambda[/tex]

Now you have two values of x for m and m+1

6. Mar 26, 2009 #5
    ok thankyou

7. Mar 26, 2009 #6
    hi again... srry, ive been looking at wat u said, andi dont understand how t=x(theta) isnt it xtan(theta)?? and from then i thought tan(theta)=t/x?? but it doesnt work because i have 2 unknowns??? theta and x. t=lamda/2n... plz can u tell me the process to solve this problem?

8. Mar 26, 2009 #7
    but then where does this d=1/3cm come from???

9. Mar 26, 2009 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For small angles, angle = sin angle = tan angle (assuming radians)
    d (in your diagram) doens't equal 1/3cm, that is the spacing of the fringes along the wedge - essentially it's the extra length of wedge needed to get one wavelenght of extra 't'

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook