Calculating Angle of Wedge for Fringe Separation

In summary, fringes are observed when a parallel beam of light with a wavelength of 500nm is incident perpendicularly onto a wedge-shaped film with an index of refraction of 1.5. To find the angle of the wedge, the equation t(x)=xtan(theta) can be used, where t is the fringe separation and x is the extra length of the wedge. The equation 2nt=m*lamda (m+.5) can also be used to determine the angle, where n is the index of refraction, m is the order of the fringe, and lamda is the wavelength. The value of d=1/3cm represents the
fredrick08

Homework Statement

fringes are observed when a parrallel beam of light of wavelength 500nm is incident perpendiculary onto a wedge-shaped film with an index of refraction of 1.5. What is the angle of the wedge if the fringe separation is 1/3cm?

Homework Equations

t(x)=xtan(theta)
2nt=m*lamda (m+.5) for deconstructive
x=(lamda/2)/2n*tan(theta)
t=lamda/2n

The Attempt at a Solution

ok I am really struggling to understand this qn, i thought simple trig, t=1.66x10^-9
but now completely stuck... coz i think i need the x value... but no idea how to find it? can anyone help?
pic-1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

anyone know how?

Sorry - if you reply to your own question is shows as answered so people ignore it!

With[tex]\theta[/tex] in radians t = x [tex]\theta[/tex]
As you say you need 2t to be an odd number of half wavelenghts
t = n(m+0.5) [tex]\lambda[/tex]

Now you have two values of x for m and m+1

ok thankyou

hi again... srry, I've been looking at wat u said, andi don't understand how t=x(theta) isn't it xtan(theta)?? and from then i thought tan(theta)=t/x?? but it doesn't work because i have 2 unknowns? theta and x. t=lamda/2n... please can u tell me the process to solve this problem?

but then where does this d=1/3cm come from?

For small angles, angle = sin angle = tan angle (assuming radians)
d (in your diagram) doens't equal 1/3cm, that is the spacing of the fringes along the wedge - essentially it's the extra length of wedge needed to get one wavelenght of extra 't'

1. How do you calculate the angle of wedge for fringe separation?

To calculate the angle of wedge for fringe separation, you will need the wavelength of the light source, the distance between the light source and the wedge, and the distance between the wedge and the screen. You can then use the formula: θ = λ/d, where θ is the angle of wedge, λ is the wavelength, and d is the distance between the light source and the screen.

2. What is the significance of calculating the angle of wedge for fringe separation?

Calculating the angle of wedge for fringe separation is important in understanding the phenomenon of interference. It allows us to predict the position and intensity of fringes in a double-slit or wedge interference experiment, which can have practical applications in fields such as optics and photonics.

3. How does the angle of wedge affect the fringe separation?

The angle of wedge directly affects the fringe separation. As the angle of wedge increases, the fringe separation decreases. This is because the angle of wedge determines the path difference between the two interfering waves, which in turn affects the position of the fringes.

4. Can the angle of wedge be negative?

No, the angle of wedge cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it is defined as the angle between the two planes that form the wedge. However, if the light source is located on the other side of the wedge, the angle of wedge can be considered negative with respect to the original position of the light source.

5. How does the angle of wedge vary for different light sources?

The angle of wedge will vary for different light sources, as it is dependent on the wavelength of the light. Longer wavelengths will result in a smaller angle of wedge, while shorter wavelengths will result in a larger angle of wedge. This is why different colors of light will produce different patterns of fringes in an interference experiment.