Optics question- please reply

• Thread starter ERB225
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, the conversation is discussing an optics question about the thickness of a glass plate. The person in the conversation mentions that the glass plate has a refractive index of 1.5 and that everything on the other side is visible within a 1 meter radius. They also mention the wavelengths of air and glass, and the critical angle of the glass plate. However, the problem is poorly formulated and it is unclear how far the person is from the glass. Another person suggests that the glass plate would be 381 inches thick, but the first person points out that the problem is solvable only if every point is visible within a 1 meter radius. Overall, the conversation highlights the need for a clearer formulation of the problem.
ERB225
Optics question-- please reply ASAP

A person stands against a thick plate of glass, n=1.5. everything on the other side of the glass plate is inside of a circle of radius = 1 meter.
wavelength air = 600 x 10 ^ -9 meters
wavelength of glass = 4 x 10 ^ -7 meters
Critical angle of glass plate = 41.8º

HOW THICK IS THE GLASS PLATE?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is pooly formulated and posted.

Glass doesn't have a wavelength, and how far is the person from the glass?

If my eyeball doesn't touch the glass then I will see all the way to infinity, not
just to a 1 meter radius. My eyeball would have to be in fluid contact with the
window in order for there to be a point of total internal reflection which is visible
to me.

That having been said, the glass plate would be 381 Inches thick.

I agree that the problem is not clearly stated. I interpret it this way: looking at the person's image from the other side of the glass, every point is only visible inside a circle of radius 1 meter. With this interpretation, the problem is solvable. (The wavelengths are irrelevant.)

1. What is optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of light and its behavior. It also includes the study of how light interacts with matter, such as reflection, refraction, and diffraction.

2. What are some common applications of optics?

Optics has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in cameras, telescopes, microscopes, eyeglasses, and laser technology. It is also used in various industries, including telecommunications, medicine, and manufacturing.

3. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection is when light bounces off a surface, while refraction is when light passes through a medium and changes direction. Reflection follows the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, while refraction follows Snell's law, which relates the angle of incidence to the angle of refraction.

4. How does color relate to optics?

Color is a result of how light interacts with matter. Objects appear a certain color because they absorb certain wavelengths of light and reflect others. Our eyes perceive these reflected wavelengths as different colors. Optics plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of light and how it creates the colors we see.

5. What is the difference between converging and diverging lenses?

Converging lenses, also known as convex lenses, are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. They cause parallel light rays to converge and can create images that are magnified and upright. Diverging lenses, also known as concave lenses, are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges. They cause parallel light rays to diverge and can create images that are smaller and inverted.