1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics question

1. Apr 5, 2004 #1
    I am trying to find F, i have L = 60cm and U = 31cm, how would i calculate f (focal length)???

and also how would i find the uncertainties?

thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2004 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure about the uncertainties but I assume U and L are object and image distances so the formula you need is

[tex]\frac{1}{L} + \frac{1}{U} = \frac{1}{F}[/tex]

4. Apr 5, 2004 #3
    I don't what else you were given to work with but the general rule for calculating uncertainties is

|df/dx| * Uncert. in x + |df/dy| * Uncert. in y

In your case, x could be L and y could be U. The derivatives would be partial deriv. of course. If you're not familar with partial derivatives then you can do it the hard way. Make both L & U smaller by their uncertainties and calc. f. Then make them both larger by the same amounts and recalc. f. The differences between these two f values and the one calc. with the given U & L values would be the uncertainties.

If you are not given the uncertanties in U & L then you have to estimate them. If they are measured, you can estimate the uncertainty as 1/2 of the smallest division on the ruler. If not, you can use the significant figures in their values as a guesstimate. 30 cm +/- 1 cm for example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?