Calculating Resolution of Space Camera for Imaging Earth

In summary, to find the corresponding value for the resolution on Earth's surface when using a camera orbiting above with a diffraction limited resolution of 4.1*10^-7 m, you need to use the equation (object) x (magnification) = (image) and input the focal length and orbital height to calculate the resolution size on the Earth's surface. This will give you an answer in meters, which is the desired unit for resolution.
Vanush
If I have a camera orbiting in space way above the Earth, and it has a diffraction limited resolution of 4.1*10^-7 m (diameter of airy disc), then how can I find out the corresponding value if the lens is supposed to take images of the Earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "corresponding value"?
Presumably by the 4.1*10^-7 m you mean the resolution limit at the image plane.
If you knowthe focal length and orbital height you can work out the resolutionsize on the Earth's surface

mgb_phys said:
What do you mean by "corresponding value"?
Presumably by the 4.1*10^-7 m you mean the resolution limit at the image plane.
If you knowthe focal length and orbital height you can work out the resolutionsize on the Earth's surface

Yeah, how do I figure out the res on the Earth? I know the Focal length and orbital height. I was thinking you could just multiply the airy disk size by 100000 for 100km

Note that multiplying (airy disc diameter) x (orbital height) gives incorrect units of m^2, when we're looking for an answer in meters.

Hint: what is the camera's magnification factor?

So I'm looking for a dimensionless number? Not sure what it could be, I'm only given lens diamater, focal length and wavelength.

Resolution at the Earth's surface will have units of meters.

Eg.: the camera can distinguish objects on Earth that are ___ meters apart.

yeah, I'm having trouble figuring out how I can get that very small airy disc size to correspond to resolution on the Earth's surface, 100km's away. I tried using this
ea350ccdc729cf3d0385636f2115ce35.png

where di is distance to the image from the lens, and do is distance to the object. But, then I get a very small number and if i multiply this number with the airy disc size I don't get a realistic resolution on the Earth's surface.

Last edited:
Which of these seems more reasonable to you:

(object) x (magnification) = (image)
or
(image) x (magnification) = (object)

?

Redbelly98 said:
Which of these seems more reasonable to you:

(object) x (magnification) = (image)
or
(image) x (magnification) = (object)

?

First one.

Good.

Does the 4.1*10^-7 m Airy disk correspond to an object or image?

Redbelly98 said:
Good.

Does the 4.1*10^-7 m Airy disk correspond to an object or image?

Sounds like you can use the 1st equation in post #8 to solve the problem now.

1. How is the resolution of a space camera calculated?

The resolution of a space camera is calculated by multiplying the number of pixels in the image by the size of each pixel. This gives the total number of pixels in the image, which represents the resolution.

2. What factors affect the resolution of a space camera?

The resolution of a space camera can be affected by several factors, including the size and quality of the camera's sensor, the focal length of the lens, and the altitude and speed of the satellite.

3. Can the resolution of a space camera be improved?

Yes, the resolution of a space camera can be improved by using a larger sensor with more pixels, a higher quality lens, and by flying the satellite at a lower altitude.

4. How does the resolution of a space camera affect the quality of images?

The resolution of a space camera directly affects the quality of images by determining the level of detail and clarity that can be captured. Higher resolution images will have more detail and appear sharper than lower resolution images.

5. Can the resolution of a space camera be used to measure the size of objects on Earth?

Yes, the resolution of a space camera can be used to measure the size of objects on Earth by comparing the number of pixels in the image to the known size of the object. This is a technique often used in remote sensing and satellite imagery analysis.