1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics - Rainbow

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    1. A man stands on a mountain peak 2 km from the ground below, and observes a rainbow 8 km away. What fraction of the arc of the rainbow does the man see?

2. Relevant equations

I tried using a triangle to figure this out but I couldn't come any closer to the answer.
    I know that the rainbow largely depends on the rain drop where red has a larger angle of deviation than violet allowing one to see red on top rather than on the bottom. Red is 42 degrees while violet is 40 degrees, etc. etc. The rest of the colors are in between more or less. Understanding this doesn't seem to help me figure it out :(

3. The attempt at a solution

No idea. The teacher gave us the answer, .586 , but that really doesn't help me understand the problem. Please help. Thanks!
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Skynt! :smile:

Don't we need to know the height of the sun? :confused:
  4. Mar 22, 2008 #3
    Well, this problem came from the book - and I agree, that came to my mind as well. The teacher said we didn't need it.
  5. Mar 23, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well. unless I'm missing something, the teacher is wrong - see:

hmm … the question doesn't say "at a beautiful sunset", does it? :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?