Optics Research: Focus Light to <5mm, Cheap Lens Solutions

In summary, the student is seeking a cheap lens solution that can focus a diverging LED array light source, outfitted with a diffuser, to a beam width of smaller than 5mm. The setup must fit in a space of 10cm and have a short focal length of less than 10cm. The student is looking for suggestions on the type or purchase of the lens needed.
TLU SPS
Greetings,

I am a student doing research and I have a diverging LED array light source outfitted with a diffuser and I need it to focus to a beam width of smaller than 5mm in order to image a optical trapping on a CCD camera. My apparatus has about 10cm of space underneath it, so I have to be able to fit my light source and whatever lens configuration in that 10 cm distance. Basically, I need a cheap lens solution in order to focus as much light as possible in a very small beam with a short focal length (<10cm). Any suggestions?

Science news on Phys.org
Are you asking what type of lens you need, or are you asking where you can purchase the lens you need?

TLU SPS said:
Greetings,

I am a student doing research and I have a diverging LED array light source outfitted with a diffuser and I need it to focus to a beam width of smaller than 5mm in order to image a optical trapping on a CCD camera. My apparatus has about 10cm of space underneath it, so I have to be able to fit my light source and whatever lens configuration in that 10 cm distance. Basically, I need a cheap lens solution in order to focus as much light as possible in a very small beam with a short focal length (<10cm). Any suggestions?
Welcome to the PF.

What is a "diverging LED array light source"? Can you Upload a sketch of your setup?

1. What is optics research?

Optics research is the study of light and its properties, including how it behaves and interacts with different materials. This field includes the development and improvement of technologies that use light, such as lenses, lasers, and fiber optics.

2. How does optics research focus light to <5mm?

Optics research utilizes various techniques and technologies to manipulate light and concentrate it to a small area. This can include using lenses, mirrors, and diffraction gratings to bend and redirect the light towards a focal point. Techniques such as adaptive optics can also be used to correct for any aberrations and improve the focusing ability.

3. What are some cheap lens solutions for optics research?

There are many affordable lens solutions that can be used in optics research, such as plastic lenses, aspheric lenses, and diffractive lenses. These types of lenses are often cheaper than traditional glass lenses and can still provide high-quality focusing capabilities.

4. What are some applications of focusing light to <5mm in optics research?

Focusing light to <5mm can have various applications in optics research, including microscopy, laser machining, and optical communication. It can also be used in medical imaging, astronomy, and spectroscopy.

5. How is optics research beneficial to society?

Optics research has numerous benefits for society, including advancements in technology, medicine, and communication. It has led to the development of devices such as cameras, telescopes, and fiber optic networks, which greatly improve our quality of life. Additionally, optics research has contributed to scientific discoveries and breakthroughs in fields such as astronomy, biology, and physics.