Understanding Refraction and Reflection in Silvered Lenses

In summary, when dealing with lenses with one curved/flat silvered surface, light must refract twice before hitting the silver side. This is because after entering the un-silvered surface, the light first refracts and then reflects off the silver surface. This means that the lens formula cannot be used and the formula μ2/v - μ1/u = μ2-μ1/R must be used instead. However, this formula may be confusing as it does not explain the meaning of the symbols. The correct interpretation is: μ is the refractive index of the medium, u is the object distance, v is the image distance, and R is the radius of curvature of the spherical surface. Additionally, for a silver lens, the light
dhtikna
When dealing with lenses which have one curved/flat surface silvered why do we consider light to refract twice before hitting the silver side? This diagram should show what i mean:

2e54f2e.png

The way it appears to me is that after light enters the un-silvered surface it refracts then it does not refract but directly hits the silver surface and reflects. In this case we need to use the following formula:

μ2/v - μ1/u = μ21/R

at the two refractions, instead of the lens formula. What's wrong in my thinking?

P.S. This is my first post, sorry that i didn't use the template, i don't see how i can format my question like that

Physics news on Phys.org
The light must come back through the lenses after reflection, refracting a second time. You formula is not very helpful since you did not explain the meaning of the symbols. I can't tell whether it's correct or not. what's μ1? What's μ2? What's v? What's u? What's R?

sorry,
μ = refractive index on medium
u = object distance
v = image distance
r = radius of curvature of spherical surface

Let me rephrase my question:

For a lens:
Refraction at first surface follow by refraction on second surface;
For a silver lens:
What i have been taught:
Refraction at first surface,again refraction at the second surface(which has been painted with silver),reflection at the second surface,refraction at second surface and finally refraction at first surface

But it look like to me that at the second surface ONLY reflection should take place no refraction

P.S. Can't you edit the original post?

1. What are silvered lenses?

Silvered lenses are lenses that have a thin coating of silver applied to one or both surfaces. This coating helps to improve the reflective properties of the lens, making it more effective in reflecting light or images.

2. How do silvered lenses differ from regular lenses?

Silvered lenses differ from regular lenses in that they have a thin layer of silver applied to them. This silver coating helps to enhance the reflective properties of the lens, making it useful for various optical applications.

3. What are the benefits of using silvered lenses?

The use of silvered lenses offers several benefits, including improved reflectivity, increased light gathering capabilities, and reduced glare. They are also more durable and resistant to scratches compared to regular lenses.

4. What are some common applications of silvered lenses?

Silvered lenses have various applications in optics, such as in telescopes, microscopes, and cameras. They are also used in laser technology, optical instruments, and in the production of holograms.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using silvered lenses?

One potential drawback of silvered lenses is the cost, as the silver coating can make them more expensive compared to regular lenses. Additionally, the silver coating may also add weight to the lens, making it less suitable for certain applications that require lightweight equipment.