Optics & Snell's Law: Finding Distance

In summary, to solve this problem, the man holding the light would need to be located and the coordinates of the object would need to be found. From there, the distance between those two points could be calculated using trigonometry.
Anieves
I am having A LOT of trouble figuring this one out. . .Some please help.. ok here it goes- So there is a beam of light (with and angle of incidence of 29.9 degrees) and so using snell's law I calculated that the angle of refraction is 21.95 degrees (using n1 as air and n2 as water). The ray of light goes into the water and hits a target. How far is the target from the beam if the target is 3m underwater and the gun shooting the beam is 1.48m above the surface of the water? What equation is available if I need to find distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anieves said:
How far is the target from the beam...
I assume this means "how far is the target from the line of the original beam". In other words, the apparent position of the object is along the line of the original in air beam, but the actual position is some distance away from that line due to refraction. Make sense?

To find this distance, draw a careful diagram and use some trig. Indicate the refracted beam, the extended original beam, and the location of the object.

description if diagram

Ok, so there is a beam coming down hitting the surface of the water and 29.9 degrees to the horizontal. (that's the theta i) The beam comes down into the water where it moves away from the normal because n2>n1. The angle of refraction that I found was 21.95(that's theta r). N1 is air=1 and N2 is water=1.333. The object is 3m below the water level and the man holding the beam is 1.48m above the surface level. How far is the object from the man holding the beam?

Anieves said:
Ok, so there is a beam coming down hitting the surface of the water and 29.9 degrees to the horizontal. (that's the theta i) The beam comes down into the water where it moves away from the normal because n2>n1.
The refracted beam moves towards the normal.
The angle of refraction that I found was 21.95(that's theta r). N1 is air=1 and N2 is water=1.333. The object is 3m below the water level and the man holding the beam is 1.48m above the surface level. How far is the object from the man holding the beam?
It looks like you've stated the problem a bit more clearly. (A different problem than what I assumed from your initial description in the first post.)

Find the coordinates of the man and the object and use them to find the distance between those two points. For example, the coordinates of the man (assume the light is going left to right, and use the point where the beam hits the water as the origin) would be y = +1.48m. The x coordinate can be found by examining the right triangle whose hypotenuse goes from the man to the origin; use trig to find the bottom leg of the triangle, which will be the x coordinate of the man. One angle in that triangle will be the angle of incidence.

Then do the same thing under the water with the object by find a right triangle with the hypotenuse going from object to origin. This way you'll find the x and y coordinates of the object.

(PS: (1) Post these kinds of questions in this forum, not general physics; (2) Don't start a second thread on the same topic.)

1. What is optics and why is it important?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of light and its behavior. It is important because it helps us understand how light interacts with different materials and how we can use this knowledge to create various optical devices such as lenses, mirrors, and prisms.

2. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is a fundamental law in optics that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction when light passes through a boundary between two different materials. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two materials.

3. How is Snell's Law used to find distance?

To find distance using Snell's Law, we need to know the angle of incidence, the angle of refraction, and the refractive index of the two materials. By rearranging the equation for Snell's Law, we can solve for the distance between the two materials.

4. What is the refractive index and how is it related to Snell's Law?

The refractive index is a measure of how much a material can bend light. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material. The refractive index is related to Snell's Law because it is used to calculate the angle of refraction when light passes through a boundary between two materials.

5. Can Snell's Law be applied to all materials?

Snell's Law can be applied to most transparent materials, such as glass and water, as long as they have a well-defined refractive index. However, it cannot be applied to materials that do not transmit light, such as metals, or materials with a complex internal structure, such as wood or paper.