Calculating Angle of Saturn from Earth Using a Refracting Telescope

In summary, the question is asking for the angle that Saturn subtends when viewed from Earth through the Lick Observatory refracting telescope. The formula to find this angle is \theta = -y'/f1, where \theta is the angle, y' is the image height, and f1 is the focal length of the objective. The explanation provided suggests using the plate scale, which is the image height divided by the angle, to find the angle instead. It is important to note the difference between the half-angle and full angle in the equations.
Fizzicist

Homework Statement

Saturn is viewed through the Lick Observatory refracting telescope (objective focal length 18 m). If the diameter of the image produced by the objective is 1.7 mm, what angle does Saturn subtend when viewed from earth?

Homework Equations

[tex]\theta[/tex] = -y'/f1, where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle that Saturn subtends when viewed by the unaided eye, y' is the height of the image formed by the objective and f1 is the focal length of the objective.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the image diameter as the image height (1.7 mm). It did not work. I don't see why that is wrong. Can someone please tell me?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly am I supposed to do with this? Use it for the image height? I am confused about what a plate scale is, and how I could use it to find the image height.

I guess my question would be, what is the point of finding the plate scale? How does it relate to the image height?

The plate scale is the image height/angle.
You know the image height and you want the angle.

1. How do telescopes work?

Telescopes work by using lenses or mirrors to collect and focus light from distant objects. The light is then magnified to create a larger, more detailed image that can be viewed by the observer.

2. What is the difference between a refracting and reflecting telescope?

A refracting telescope uses lenses to bend and focus light, while a reflecting telescope uses mirrors to reflect and focus light. Refracting telescopes are typically longer and thinner, while reflecting telescopes are shorter and wider.

3. How does the size of a telescope affect its magnifying power?

The size of a telescope's objective lens or primary mirror determines its light-gathering ability, which ultimately affects its magnifying power. Larger telescopes are able to gather more light, resulting in a clearer and more detailed image.

4. What is the difference between aperture and focal length in a telescope?

Aperture refers to the diameter of the objective lens or primary mirror, while focal length is the distance from the lens or mirror to the point where the image is formed. A larger aperture allows for more light to enter the telescope, while a longer focal length results in a higher magnification.

5. Can telescopes be used for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing?

Yes, some telescopes are designed for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing. However, some adjustments may need to be made, such as using different eyepieces, to optimize the viewing experience for each type of observation.