1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics undergrade text books

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    I am woundering about good undergrade text books. I have no clue where to start. Can anybody inform me on prefured authers for eather undergrade or grade level optics books?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There aren't any good optics text books.
    Hecht - the nearest to a good book, but only useful for modern optics (laser/fibre/diffraction) readqable but no good as a reference.
    Born and Wolf - nobody can understand this, you look the answer up somewhere else and put the B+W reference to sound clever.
    Jenkins+white - on it's 124th edition, but only because the first one predates Newton.
    Pedrotti+pedrotti - a simpler version of B+W.
    Modern optical engineering / Modern lens design - not enough detail to really create an optical design but not enough background to understand it.

There are also a bunch of tutorials on Zemax etc - usually only available for course on Zemax.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  4. Apr 29, 2008 #3
    I like Predrotti + Pedrotti (Intro to optics), it has a fair bit of explanation and mathematical derivation. It certainly helped me during my undergrad years.
  5. Apr 30, 2008 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

We used Klein and Furtak; it was ok, I suppose.

Available for free online is the Military Handbook of Optical Design, MIL-HDBK-141, which is a bit dense, but it is free and covers the material at a basic level.

Stone's "Radiation and Optics" is out of print, but your library may have a copy.
  6. Apr 30, 2008 #5
    i don't know but hecht is terrible
  7. Apr 30, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hecht does seem to polarise opinions.
    It doesn't have the rigour of B+W but it is readable or too wordy!
    It doesn't cover geometric optics as well as 'modern optics'. Although one reviewer complained that it covers geometric optics at all - since no one needs to know that stuff these days, apparently it's all done by software!

I have the earlier Hecht+zacht edition - it seems to have doubled in size in recent editions.
  8. Jun 27, 2008 #7
    Maybe Guenther - Modern optics...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?